Brownville question

Peace river rat

A question about Brownville, I am going in a little while, last time I did well walking to the big gravel beds about a mile down from the boatramp, however I understand those are well known and hard hit. My question is, if I head upriver, will I find less hard hit areas?

I would walk up to 2 miles or so, far enough to pass most of the walk ins. Any advice?

I will post my results tonight, thanks TFF.

The further away from foot access sites you go, the more likely you are to find relatively "virgin" gravels.  If you take a probe and can find some gravels not visible at the surface and dig down to them, that can be very productive.  Good luck! :envy:

• I found this Informative 1

You went a mile downriver form the boatramp  last time. That would likely have better fossils than AT the boatramp which is where almost everyone hunts. You likely want to go somewhere that only 10% of fossil hunters go. Upstream is a good choice.  There is the road that leads to Brownville Park and boatramp.  Upstream of the bridge over the road is an area of exposed bedrock. Upstream of that bedrock are high power lines that "sing" when you hunt under them.

Being one of the 1% of fossil hunters, I have successfully found goodies at those spots and gone further upstream. But If I went hunting there again, I would expect to find fossils in those 2 locations.

The river is low -- check out the deeper holes that are not so deep right now.  Final gravel and dig deep.  Remember -- the river is 3-4 feet lower. Good luck.

• I found this Informative 4

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

5 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

You went a mile downriver form the boatramp  last time. That would likely have better fossils than AT the boatramp which is where almost everyone hunts. You likely want to go somewhere that only 10% of fossil hunters go. Upstream is a good choice.  There is the road that leads to Brownville Park and boatramp.  Upstream of the bridge over the road is an area of exposed bedrock. Upstream of that bedrock are high power lines that "sing" when you hunt under them.

Being one of the 1% of fossil hunters, I have successfully found goodies at those spots and gone further upstream. But If I went hunting there again, I would expect to find fossils in those 2 locations.

The river is low -- check out the deeper holes that are not so deep right now.  Final gravel and dig deep.  Remember -- the river is 3-4 feet lower. Good luck.

Absolutely right, Shellseeker, I just got home and I dug under those very lines (well, a little downsream) I found a few good finds, a good size mammoth partial, maybe a bison molar and a very curious (osteoderm?)

Again, my pics will suck as my laptop camera is all I have, so here goes! Gotta get me a camera, my laptop is little better than trying to describe them!

WIN_20170517_20_08_29_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170517_20_09_03_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170517_20_09_08_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170517_20_09_18_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170517_20_09_28_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170517_20_09_28_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170517_20_09_50_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170517_20_10_09_Pro.jpg

6 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

I ride a bicycle from arcadia, I wonder if those power lines cross cubitis Ave? If so, could I acesess it without blatant trespassing? Sure would save time!

If not, oh well!

Nice finds Robert!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

26 minutes ago, Peace river rat said:

I ride a bicycle from arcadia, I wonder if those power lines cross cubitis Ave? If so, could I acesess it without blatant trespassing? Sure would save time!

If not, oh well!

I have wondered exactly the same thing.  After all, owned by FP&L and they probably won't mind, I think... never did it though.

NICE Osteoderm!! Waiting for a better photo to ID -- Looks like a double

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

14 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

I have wondered exactly the same thing.  After all, owned by FP&L and they probably won't mind, I think... never did it though.

NICE Osteoderm!! Waiting for a better photo to ID -- Looks like a double

Dad gum it, I wish my lap top could take decent pics, my best guess is some kind of tail osteoderm from a big armadillo like, critter. I may pitch a tent for afew days before the season ends. The caretaker at Brownville park, will let me lock my recumbent bicycle on the fence out front.

I need to do it soon, the rains are coming, I will get better pics soon, any idea what that double is? Thanks, SS.

32 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Nice finds Robert!

Hey Dave! Come back to Fl, we can camp! The heck with a day trip, A 3 day trip, gives you time to really work the area!

I'm such a moron as I spent my first first year at the beach collecting little worn out teeth. Just this past week I've discovered the Peace river and oh my what a gold mine. I've only walked upstream at Riverside  Pack in Wauchula but I'm collecting about 100 teeth per hour and only 3-4 larger ones (1"+) per 6 hours. I need to get my Yak out and move further away from the picked out areas and start collecting some for real teeth.

Yup. Caspersen Beach was my first introduction to fossils in Florida but once I left Venice (and beach tumbled teeth) behind and discovered the Peace River the fun really got started. Welcome to the "good stuff".

Cheers.

-Ken