Found under a maple tree root

geoguy

I found this rock in the soil under the root of a maple tree that I am removing.  I live in Ozaukee county in Wisconsin.  Any ideas what this could be/or if it is even a fossil?

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

Welcome to the forum :)

This could be geologic, but it certainly has an interesting whorl patterning. Wait for others to chime in...

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Ozaukee county (located on the bottom left of the map) appears to be Silurian and Devonian. This being said, the specimen seems slightly rounded and could have been transported from somewhere else. If this item is not geologic it could perhaps be a stromatolite or some other organism that is prone to leave concentric layers

M067.jpg

Definitely geologic - Septarian crack patterns/structures. See this thread  for an item with similar patterning. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

20 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Definitely geologic - Septarian crack patterns/structures. See this thread  for an item with similar patterning. ;) 

Touché, nature.

I agree! I'm pretty sure about a geological oddity. The patterns remind me of Liesegang rings in differential weathering, but I could be wrong. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

May be something similar to this:

2-1.jpg.15b7ccdc0c548a0f6c46e14a10ff81e4.thumb.jpg.33372105acce4380215760bc1eef2e5d.jpgAM25_46.thumb.jpg.66c206baf7a8f2c579d0828685e3576f.jpg

excerpt from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It also reminds me of what a cone in cone geologic structure would look like after weathering.  I assume this is sedimentary rock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone-in-cone_structures

http://www.wvgs.wvnet.edu/www/museum/musecone.htm

2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I agree! I'm pretty sure about a geological oddity. The patterns remind me of Liesegang rings in differential weathering, but I could be wrong.

These Liesegang rings are a wonder.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

I submitted to pictures to a local geology museum, UW-Madison, and they replied:

"The patterns are geological in origin - they are iron deposits in sandstone.  The iron gets laid down in layers as water flows through the rock and then those iron-rich layers are stronger than the surrounding sandstone so they stick up above the surface of the rock as it erodes. "

Thanks all.  I wish it had been biological in origin, but it still is a neat piece of rock.

Thanks for keeping us updated, but sorry it wasn't a fossil :(

It is still a very interesting piece.

Maybe the next find will be a fossil. :fingerscrossed:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I also thank you for the update that might confirm my hypothesis. :)Liesegang rings

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived