Confused about coral

Beth929

If this is a Tablate coral wouldn't it have "tabulae"?

Help, either I'm getting conflicting info or am losing my ability to read.

Is there an easy mnemonic device to tell the coral apart?

Mystery.jpg

Edited by Beth929
Spelling

In the case of corals the tabulae are the internal partitions inside of a cell which are horizontal. For comparison the vertical partitions or septae of rugose corals are absent or reduced in the tabulate corals. 

• I found this Informative 1

if you keep in mind that near vertical tabulae exist(the "clinotabulae" auctores)B)

Below:outtake from a Zapalski article

zapscinng-17-638.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

I think the reason you see no tabulae is that they are very thin and fragile. They often don't survive the fossilization process.  

• I found this Informative 1

I think I can see tabulae, albeit damaged, in the deeper parts of your specimen. And it's got nice mural pores which is typical of favositids.

Horizontal ridges in this bit for example:

591d606a4cef3_ScreenShot2017-05-18at09_49_48.png.e13c743df393de3a181596834119f201.png

Just about all tabulates have obvious tabulae (a notable exception being auloporidae where they may be absent).

Reduced or absent septa are typical of tabulates but there are exceptions where they're as long as any other coral.

Unfortunately, the major distinction between rugose, scleractinian and tabulate corals is the way the septa are inserted throughout ontogeny and that's generally not obvious without doing serial sections of a given corallite.

• I found this Informative 4

Tarquin