Strange Worm-like impression on rock

Got Bones?

Hello fellow TFF Members!

I am sorry I am not very active lately, but my job slows me down....

ANYWAYS!

I was searching a creek bed by future new house in Illinois, and I stumbles across this - (picture below)

Could anyone tell me what creature made this impression? I'm assuming a worm-like creature due to its obvious segments.

IMG_3348.JPG

IMG_3352.JPG

:hammer01::mammoth::trex: Troy Niler, amateur fossil & mineral/artifact collector:meg::bone::trilo:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres a few more pics of my newest specimen:

IMG_3351.JPG

IMG_3350.JPG

:hammer01::mammoth::trex: Troy Niler, amateur fossil & mineral/artifact collector:meg::bone::trilo:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 minutes ago, Got Bones? said:

IMG_3351.JPG

IMG_3350.JPG

Looks like part of a crinoid stalk's impression. 

7 minutes ago, Got Bones? said:

IMG_3351.JPG

IMG_3350.JPG

Looks like a crinoid stalk impression. 

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you for the helpful assumption! I would agree to that as well, however what the photo doesn't quite clearly show is the top of the "stalk" almost has an arrow-shaped tip, like a head or, excuse my French, a butt or end of something.

Please note in the photo I've outlined the entire impression -

IMG_3348.JPG

13 minutes ago, Got Bones? said:

Thank you for the helpful assumption! I would agree to that as well, however what the photo doesn't quite clearly show is the top of the "stalk" almost has an arrow-shaped tip, like a head or, excuse my French, a butt or end of something.

Please note in the photo I've outlined the entire impression -

IMG_3348.JPG

I think that's just the weathering on the specimen that's making that tapering effect you pointed out. 

6 minutes ago, EMP said:

I think that's just the weathering on the specimen that's making that tapering effect you pointed out. 

Thank you for the informative explanation! I can now label it in peace as crinoid sp. without worry of identification error! :dinothumb:

Resembles a cephalopod impression rather than a crinoid stem impression.

...I'm back.