Palmoxylon Citrine?

PetrifiedDoubleGulp

I found this a while back, and I wanted to get your opinions.

it has rings at either end, and the texture of the palm parts that remain have a lengthwise tubular structure.

You can also see what look like grid-like 'cells' under the 10x loupe.

It looks like it broke open at some point, revealing a really astounding bunch of glittering citrine crystals

IMG_20170510_113827.jpg

Your description of this is slightly confusing.

3 hours ago, PetrifiedDoubleGulp said:

it has rings at either end, and the texture of the palm parts that remain have a lengthwise tubular structure.

You can also see what look like grid-like 'cells' under the 10x loupe.

Where are the rings and tublar structure and what part looks like cells? Pictures of what you are describing will be necessary for our opinions because at the moment it just looks like a nice geode.

Edited by Micah
P.S. Where you found it is usually helpful as well.
  • I found this Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the wait. Here are more photos of the rings on either end. Keep in mind the whole thing has had a lengthwise side worn away, revealing crystals inside in the last photo. 

Theres a texture visible in the third one that is very similar to the texture on my palmoxylon specimen.

_6120141.jpg

_6120140.jpg

_6120139.jpg

_6120138.jpg

The crystals  must  be calcite.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Hi,

I think it is quartz because I can't see the plan of characteristic cleavage of the calcite.

The calcite is going to make bubbles with the action of the vinegar, the quartz will not react.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

It definitely bubbled in vinegar, that's how I cleaned it. Originally it was covered in limestone matrix

Does the specimen show the rod-like structure you would expect from a cross-section of a palm fossil? The crystals may give the appearance of rods but I also don't know why we would see the concentric circles that appear on one end if it was palm wood.

The specimen has rings on both ends and curves over as if at one point it used to be a curved tubular, but now a lengthwide side has collapsed exposing the interior crystals. 

It's a little difficult to tell but the first picture is of the rings on one end and the second one is the other end.

The third picture shows some of the woody texture towards the right side of the specimen.

classic Stenzel("Fossil Palm wood"),a must-read for those hankering for(after?) information on ultrastructural details of Palmoxylon

chinlbhl.jpg

Thanks dous, I say Palmoxylon because the texture on the surface, towards the right of the specimen in the third picture, resembles the texture on a previous specimen I found that is apparently a piece of palmoxylon. 

If it isn't, I'm pretty stumped, but it definitely has a curved shape to it with rings at both ends and remains of what looks like petrified bark of some kind.

If it was extracted from a limestone matrix, which one of them bubbled in vinegar: the limestone or the crystals?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

20 hours ago, PetrifiedDoubleGulp said:

it definitely has a curved shape to it with rings at both ends and remains of what looks like petrified bark of some kind.

I thought palm wood did not have annual growth rings. I may have gotten this wrong. Are the rings the result of something else?

4 minutes ago, BobWill said:

I thought palm wood did not have annual growth rings. I may have gotten this wrong. Are the rings the result of something else?

Perhaps! I'm pretty stumped with it.

As my question wasn't answered, I'll go with a wild guess about the ID: :)Beekite rings ?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 6/14/2017 at 5:41 PM, abyssunder said:

As my question wasn't answered, I'll go with a wild guess about the ID: :)Beekite rings ?

In that case I'm thinking it was the limestone

This piece looks like cave flowstone. A calcite mineral formation that occurs in limestone and marble.

It also fits the description of concentric rings with "wood like texture".

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I think we have confirmed that it was only the limestone matrix that reacted with the hcl. Quartz crystals would rule out cave flowstone.

6 minutes ago, westcoast said:

I think we have confirmed that it was only the limestone matrix that reacted with the hcl. Quartz crystals would rule out cave flowstone.

A simple hardness test would tell.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

If the crystals were not altered by the vinegar they are not calcite crystals, but could be citrine (quartz) crystals. Beekite is a distinctive form of chalcedony (silica-quartz).

Thomas Mann

My Library