Two fossils to ID in oriskany quartzite

Miocene_Mason

Today I go at two fossils I collected in western Maryland neer Hancock. They are of the oriskany formation and because of this they have been metamorphosed into quartzite, meaning the preservation is not the best imaginable. This may make an ID impossible but I'm going to ask everyone any way. The first is a brachiopod or a mollusk, the second is a gastropod of some sort. More pictures can Be taken and I will try to provide any relevant information. Tell me what you all think!

IMG_1456.JPG

IMG_1459.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Here's some more

IMG_1457.JPG

IMG_1458.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The first one looks like an internal cast of a brachiopod, possibly a pentamerid.

The second item reminds me of a gastropod. 
Maybe @EMP will have some ideas. 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree with Tim's assessment. Not sure about the second fossil being a gastropod. There isn't enough detail for my old eyes.

@Cluros and @Fossildude19 the second one is a little broken it just gives half a mold and the outline of a gastropod, but I just through some research fond it to be a platycerid, no idea the species. The first one is some sort of brachiopod. At this site the hinges are abundant but this is the only whole one I could find.

Happy hunting,

Mason

18 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Here's some more

IMG_1457.JPG

IMG_1458.JPG

I assume this is Sandy Mile Road? How's the quarry doing? Last time I went there wasn't anything in it.

Yes, the first fossil is a pentamerid  brachiopod. I don't know what species it is yet, I haven't seen pentamurids listed from the Maryland section of the Oriskany yet. So I'd label it as Pentamerus (?) sp. for now until I can find a more proper ID.

The second one is tougher, but I'd feel confident that it is a partial Platyceras sp. gastropod, the outermost whorl of the shell. Platyceras sp. is a fairly common fossil from both the Oriskany Sandstone and from Sandy Mile Road.

• I found this Informative 2

@EMP yeah this is from the cut at sandy mile, there were plenty of fossils on the ground and a rock face with an uncountable amount. Of course fossils are very worn. Thanks for the IDs 

Happy hunting,

Mason