Odd Florida osteoderm for ID

jcbshark

Not quite sure what to make of this guy I found last week.... about the size of a quarter and thinking maybe just an odd placement for holmesina/ glyptodon but just not sure. Any help is appreciated: )

IMG_8673.JPG

IMG_8674.JPG

IMG_8675.JPG

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Yup. I think you had it at "odd placement". Don't take my word for it as I'm far from the expert (though many experts will certainly chime in soon) but I would think tail osteoderm on something shaped like this. We'll soon see if my instincts are worthwhile or worthless. ;)

Cool find!

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Hey Jeff, interesting find. But dont start me thinking about osteoderm shaped things...I just got over that last episode....lol...

Low profile and a fairly thin guy, no notches...hmmm.. ....Hoping the resident vert folks can say something definitively..

Regards, Chris 

Jeff, it looks similar to the bonefish grinding plates I've found (I think in the Santa Fe). It's about the same size, texture and profile. Yours looks a little more robust than mine though.

Thank you folks: )exciting to add a new piece to the collection 

Dang Harry, you have some awesome piles of material! Look at all those guys!

I can see the resemblance but with this number of examples the patterns in the mills actually seem to look a bit different to me from what Jeff has. Anyone else agree? Thepatterns look to me to be more spherical in form/outlines and Jeff's unknown looks more porous and irregular and elliptical. I'm not sure if its the wear pattern or angle on Jeffs that distorting the look or the fresh exposure on the mills. Jeff can you take another crisp shot of the the 1st view to show the porosity? 

If not a mill could this be a worn Glyptophere tail type osteoderm?  Just looking for the insight...cause I got quite of few of parts of these and many are poorly preserved and they drive me crazy. thanks all...

Regards, Chris 

Here you go Chris: ) truth be told I still lean toward it being an osteoderm but things can look much differently in pics vs in the hand

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think I'm going to have to go with Holmesina osteoderm on this one. It has the same exact texture and also appears to have the ridge you usually see with these.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Yes, I don't think this is a fish part.  Osteoderm is a good guess, but I don't recognize it as from Holmesina or from any other usual contributor.  I'm wondering if it is a rather large sloth osteoderm.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

8 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Yes, I don't think this is a fish part.  Osteoderm is a good guess, but I don't recognize it as from Holmesina or from any other usual contributor.  I'm wondering if it is a rather large sloth osteoderm.

Well,  Jeff has been finding sloth!!! A claw here, a tooth there , and then a possible osteoderm !!.  He is just a little slow in putting the animal back together again,:)

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Yep put that in the pile for Dr. Hulbert to look at and maybe confirm one way or the other..would love to hear what somewhat having it in their hands thinks....I've got all kinds of broken stuff that my limited photography cant help with. Cool whatever it turns out to be! Regards, Chris