HogTown Creek, Teeth and Mammal

PaleoExplorer

Good Afternoon everyone,

I took a trip to Hogtown Creek in Gainesville Florida a few months ago and had pretty good success. Of my lot, I found a few fossils (pictured below) that I am having difficulties identifying. I don't want to mislabel them so I figured I'd turn to the experts. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

The ruler's marks are centimeters (top) and inches (bottom).

This is my first time posting so hopefully this format is acceptable. I labeled each of the findings to help with referencing them in the replies.

I am happy to take additional photos upon request.

Thank you :) 

59209d7d10e81_TFF-IDHelp.thumb.jpg.4860223e83ae8ef620f5596ba14c3975.jpg

I can't help you but I know the other members will appreciate the numbering, the scale and quality of images.

• I found this Informative 1

D1 - looks to be an imbricating osteoderm of an armadillo, possibly Dasypus sp.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, westcoast said:

I can't help you but I know the other members will appreciate the numbering, the scale and quality of images.

Thank you :) 

25 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

D1 - looks to be an imbricating osteoderm of an armadillo, possibly Dasypus sp.

I had a feeling it was a Dasypus sp. osteoderm. It was way too tiny to belong to the Giant Armadillo. Thanks for your help! 

C series - I think bony fish pharyngeal grinding mills would be a good guess for them, the pictures from here  might be good matches.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

A1 looks like a mako shark tooth (if it doesn't have any serrations), A2 might be a lemon shark tooth, B appears to be turtle shell. I agree with abyssunder on the fish grinding plates for C and armadillo osteoderm on D1. Hard to tell what D2 is. My first thought was also turtle shell, but zooming in and the back view has me questioning that. I've found the same kind of teeth as D3 in Hogtown creek and other creeks in the area. I'm pretty sure they're some kind of fish teeth, but I'm not sure of the type. D4 is a mystery...if it is a fossil, it will be difficult to ID from those photos.

-Cris

• I found this Informative 1

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

C series - I think bony fish pharyngeal grinding mills would be a good guess for them, the pictures from here  might be good matches.

Thanks for the help again, I was able to use your post as a beginning point for my search for my "C" series. I think two of the four are bony fish and the other two are Drum Fish Plates? Not sure if they are actually the same type of fish. 

30 minutes ago, Cris said:

A1 looks like a mako shark tooth (if it doesn't have any serrations), A2 might be a lemon shark tooth, B appears to be turtle shell. I agree with abyssunder on the fish grinding plates for C and armadillo osteoderm on D1. Hard to tell what D2 is. My first thought was also turtle shell, but zooming in and the back view has me questioning that. I've found the same kind of teeth as D3 in Hogtown creek and other creeks in the area. I'm pretty sure they're some kind of fish teeth, but I'm not sure of the type. D4 is a mystery...if it is a fossil, it will be difficult to ID from those photos.

-Cris

A1 does not have serrations so I'm thinking Mako too. It's extremely heavy - I can't believe how dense it is. I'll take better pictures of the "D" series tomorrow with natural lighting.  I appreciate it, Chris. 

Here are additional photos of the D2, D3, and D4 findings. I need to invest in a better setup for these small findings, my phone camera isn't cutting it.

@Cris (hopefully you don't mind me tagging you, I'm still really new to this process. I appreciate your help!) :) 

D3 Close Ups.jpg

D4  Closeups.jpg

D2 Close Ups.jpg

D3 is a fish tooth. I think the rest of the recent photos are phosphatic pebbles.

11 hours ago, Al Dente said:

D3 is a fish tooth. I think the rest of the recent photos are phosphatic pebbles.

Thanks Al Dente, The more pictures I took the less hopeful I was they were actually fossils.  Fish teeth are proving to be almost impossible to identify! I appreciate your comment. :)

22 hours ago, PaleoExplorer said:

Here are additional photos of the D2, D3, and D4 findings. I need to invest in a better setup for these small findings, my phone camera isn't cutting it.

@Cris (hopefully you don't mind me tagging you, I'm still really new to this process. I appreciate your help!) :) 

I don't mind at all. :)

D3, as Al Dente mentioned, is definitely fish. It might be Dentex sp. Here's a pic of some Miocene Dentex fossils from the collection of Forum member @MB for comparison:  LINK

D4 very well may be geological in origin, although some angles of it look strange. It's something that probably needs to be held in person to give a positive ID on. 

D2 may also be a rock, but it's another thing to throw into a box for future positive identification. The back side looks like a rock, the front looks like turtle shell/glyptodont (which I have seen from creeks near Gainesville). 

-Cris

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Great idea, I'll hold on to them and wait to have them examined in person. The Dentex example is very fitting. Thank you for all your help!