Miocene_Mason

Hello everyone, 

today I went hunt in northern Frederick county, Thurmont to be exact, to look for fossils in Gettysburg shale. These are many interesting for sometimes preserving dinosaur and other reptile footprints. I ended up hunting in a river next to a trail that had abundant red shale, this may be new oxford or Gettysburg formation, either way Triassic material, (lean towards new oxford, abundant breccia) and I came across this strange thing. Is it a fossil or not? If a fossil what type and if not what is it? Tell me what you think. Btw I don't believe I found any tracks but I'm still looking at what I collected.

IMG_1472.JPG

IMG_1473.JPG

IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1470.JPG

IMG_1471.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Instinct tells me to resist the worm part of a burrow ID, but I suspect in this case the nature of the bend may be indicative of something worm like. 

Thanks @Rockwood and @ynot for the ID. Means I still have a chance to find something at that site.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I'm afraid worms sometimes inhabit mud flats where there is little else to fossilize, but at least it isn't completely barren.

@Rockwood yeah, I always seem to find the places with worms. I will keep looking though, probably closer to emmitsburg where people tend to find them.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived