Another possible Triassic fossil, any ideas?

Miocene_Mason

Same deal as the last one. No idea what this is, might not even be a fossil.  It's in red shale probably new oxford formation, maybe Gettysburg of Thurmont, Maryland. Remember, its famous for ichno fossils, so a trace fossil is first on my list of possibilities after strange erosion pattern. The black half spheres, sometimes yellow, are modern egg sacks, probably spiders. Tell me what you think!

IMG_1476.JPG

IMG_1477.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Some more pictures

IMG_1478.JPG

IMG_1479.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

i have a  sneaky boudinage feeling.*

Caused by shale-sandstone alterations deforming under two-phase plane strain conditions

Antithetic shear layering might be another possibility 

edit: *chocolate-tablet boudinage actually

• I found this Informative 1

@doushantuo didn't think it would be a fossil (I thought it would be a ripple mark or something), always worth a gander though.

Happy hunting,

Mason

thanks for posting this one,though.

I wouldn't totally exclude ripple marks,though.

Or even sheared ripple marks:P

" The New Oxford Formation and other formations of the Newark Supergroup were deposited in the Gettysburg Basin, just one of many Triassic rift basins existing on the east coast of North and South America, which formed as plate tectonics pulled apart Pangaea into the continents we see today. "

" The New Oxford Formation is a mapped bedrock unit consisting primarily of sandstones, conglomerates, and shales. "

"The Newark Supergroup consists largely of poorly sorted nonmarine sediments; typical rocks are breccia, conglomerate, arkose sandstone, siltstone, and shale. Most of the strata are red beds that feature ripple marks, mud cracks, and even rain drop prints "

excerpts from Wikipedia

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

@doushantuoOh dang not the sheared ripple marks! And @abyssunder found evidence for it! (Just not the sheared part)

Happy hunting,

Mason