D.N.FossilmanLithuania

Dear Guys,

I have found one very specific bone fragment which is very hard to me to identify, it is from Late Pleistocene sand layers of Varena town, South Lithuania. 

The wider part of bone has very strange joint relief and I do not know which animal is this.

Please help with ID of this fossil.

Best Regards

Domas

ungulate humerus.JPG

ungulate humerus 2.JPG

ungulate humerus 3.JPG

Ungulate humerus 4.JPG

Hi, 

Looks like the end of a large limb bone but apart from that I have no idea what animal it could be from. It's large and Pleistocene so it could possibly be a horse or bison. But unfortunately the state the bone is in, being worn and damaged, makes saying anything other than a possibility difficult. 

33 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, John, but there's not enough of this femur remaining to offer even a low-confidence identification.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I agree. It's a partial Radius revealing the proximal end. Try to compare with these drawings: :)

Radius.thumb.jpg.6fb3bb7cb8352a658876172649ff04a7.jpgRadius_text.thumb.jpg.73fe02e5f04cd2a7dc6201388b20a095.jpg

excerpt from E. Schmid. 1972. Atlas of Animal Bones. For Prehistorians, Archaeologists and Quaternary Geologists. Elsevier, New York.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Ya' know, radius was my first thought, too.  But as I studied the images, I realized that the bone end is not symmetrical enough to be a radius from any easily-identified taxon, perissodactyls and artiodactyls both.  Look again at those images, and compare with these line-drawings:

femora_prox_artio.JPG

femora_proximal.jpg

radius_prox_artio.JPG

horse_radius_excavations.JPG

horse_radius_proximal.jpg

What seest thou else

You know better than me, Harry, for sure, but I don't see the Fovea capitis and the Trochanter majus. Probably they are damaged.

Femur.thumb.jpg.c2b12a0815c35341e103cae56371b20f.jpgFemur_text.thumb.jpg.57f2ff19304783dd0a5de47a941cee8b.jpg

59219aea62c3f_ungulatehumerus.JPG.bda54fce98ee98a8e5d82bedd74fd1c9.thumb.JPG.9091f10d5166cc6906b7235d7c5f267c.JPG59219af8b72d2_ungulatehumerus2.JPG.68b37d8ac999cb0e135348d2d64fb1ea.thumb.JPG.dddd1db369f94c976d4163d91c0aca00.JPG59219b0c017f9_ungulatehumerus3.JPG.9b3162bef06aed5001a83337acae1f09.thumb.JPG.18e8c0f5b8a0edd9fbf4707f75cc6177.JPG

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

You know better than me, Harry, for sure, but I don't see the Fovea capitis and the Trochanter majus. Probably they are damaged.

You are absolutely correct, abyssunder . . . Not about what I know, but about the diagnostic features being damaged.  The fact that we can't agree even on which bone this thing represents is testament to the degree of damage.

What seest thou else

Thank you very much. :D I would think it is horse... :) 

Archived