Rowboater

Found several curved pieces of compressed sandy looking material with a tube-like polished round opening.  Several have a black shark tooth-like enamel on only part of the tube and some pieces have the same glossy sheen on the outside.  One had a weird pattern below the sheen (second pic).  They are all one to two inch pieces.  Are these some type of worm casing? Any ideas?

IMG-20170521-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20170521-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20170521-WA0002.jpg

Yep, need some clearer pictures if you can. the last shot or even the 2nd might be bone fragments but those are wild guesses. 

Regards, Chris 

Weird pattern ? Sort of conical shape ?

You don't suppose it's time to trot out the old garbage bin ID of rudist ? :)

Yes, please post sharper photos. That might be a snail steinkern filled with invertebrate coprolites.

Just to expand the wide range of possibilities I would suggest something like echinoderm, possibly cystoid, if the geological time permits. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks for all the helpful replies.  I don't remember finding things like this before, but except for the polished black sheen streaks I probably wouldn't have picked it up.  It is an interesting contrast of sandy grainy concrete-like "body" with a wider round polished "opening" which seems to narrow as it passes through the body.  Of course this is my interpretation from pieces and may be wrong.  Unfortunately I'm back in Singapore and the pieces are in Virginia.  Maybe I'll try to come up with a better camera (do I need a macro lens?)  

Also does anyone know of fossil clubs or experts near me (Deltaville, VA) where I could take stuff like this to be looked at when I return?  The people here are great help, but sometimes handling the stuff seems to be useful to me!

Although better photos would certainly be helpful, I am getting a pretty strong "vibe" of a piece of an internal cast of a whorl of a gastropod.  

Don