I found, I found!

pambosk

Hello people, 

This and more stuff I found on the hills of Ayios Athanasios, app 10km from the beach.

It looks like a shell, or 2 shells, and I think is one of the cases that needs to be cleaned. Any idea how to remove the white stone material without breaking the 'shell' which is brown/orange/yellow colored

111.JPG

111s.jpg

222.JPG

333.JPG

444.JPG

555.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Depending on the hardness of the matrix, you may be able to scrape away the matrix with a dental pick. Go slow and consolidate if needed.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

ok I am almost there.. it appears to be half a brachiopod before i post more photos i have some questions:

1) Will water ruin it?

2) at some point there are 3-4 white little pipe-like things, various lengths from 1mm-7mm and 0.5mm thickness.  They are smooth/glossy when u touch them, they all seem to be attached on the same side.  What is their significance? Doubt my camera can show, but they really look like the smallest size of spaghetti if it helps. 

Water won't damage it. Some brachiopods such as productids have external spines. I'm not saying you have a productid but you may have a brachiopod with spines.

and voila my 1st preparation :PI will clean a bit more later.  Anyone knows what do I do with the inside?

And what kind of brachiopod is it for that matter?

IMG_0761.JPG

IMG_0762.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0764.JPG

IMG_0765.JPG

IMG_0766.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

IMG_0769.JPG

It's probably a terebratulla. Check faunal lists for your area.

Oops typo..should be terebratula.

Terebratula phillipsis not so sure, even though they look similar, but according to my little research, it would be elongated and not so round as this one (http://collections.obs.ujf-grenoble.fr/paleontologieenseignementclefbrachiopodesarticules.html) .  Could those white 'spines' indicate a Productus horridus or a local kind of productus?  Basically now that you can see those 'spines, are they spines indeed ? i found more here and there but i accidentally picked them off :megalodon_broken01:

I agree with @westcoast - The irregularity of these spiny features does seem to suggest epibionts of some kind. But this hardly detracts from the fact that you found an interesting fossil, and that you prepped it fairly well :)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer