I need a fossil adventure this summer, California

kolleamm

Hi all,

I have about 3 months off, and would really just like to journey the US in search of fossils. I live in California, and would be open to some traveling in the states. Is there any trips I can go on with a team or something in search of fossils?

Thanks in advance

I drove across the states last year and there are quite a few commercial places to collect if you want to go that route

10 minutes ago, kolleamm said:

That sounds like an adventure. Where would I go?

I had limited time but managed to collect some petrified wood near sweethome, oregon. Fossilized fish near kemmerer, wyoming and trilobites in Utah. 

That's what i visited on the west coast, but if you like minerals Utah and Nevada have loads to offer, but some of the locals should be better suited to say where the sites are

On the link given I have found Baisch's Dinosaur Digs in Montana to be fairly interesting.

It is an enviable position to be in to have that time! :)

I can foresee a lot of route planning, and managing the logistics and expense of a major multi-site road trip. It may even depend on your focus. For example, if there are certain types of fossils you are looking for, if you want to dig deep into one state, or skirmish several. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Theropod fossils would be very nice to find, but honestly I'll be happy to find anything dinosaur. So far my plan is to travel by plane, get a rental car, and a room at hotel.

5 minutes ago, kolleamm said:

What exactly do they mean by guided hunts?

From what I've read, the organizers take you directly to certain locations. I've read mixed reviews about those, so always best to check out the reviews on sites like TripAdvisor et al. before putting down any money ;)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Archived