Raindrops imprint?

Miocene_Mason

I just split a Triassic shale piece from Thurmont, Maryland and I found these weird twin dots. Raindrop impressions are known from this formation but they are next to each other, any Ideas?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

No, ... raindrop imprints usually cover the slab. With just 2 I would call it a trace fossil. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@Fossildude19 Any idea what type? Or is it just to small.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

it is just too small for me.

Tim is right though, raindrops cover larger areas.

Maybe a burrow of some sort?

Hmmm...guess that goes in the question mark bin. Thanks for the help though. :)

Happy hunting,

Mason

Ive seen a heck of alot of 'raindrops', and those just dont look like rain drops?

RB

One more thing, just found this on completely different rock, locks like the same thing just negative. Any yellow is spider eggs BTW.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Happy hunting,

Mason

How were the pyrite spots determined to be spider eggs?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@Fossildude19  your probably right, I couldn't find my magnifying glass, I just assumed they were because they were the same size as the unbroken brown ones (I thought the pyrite was unbroken ones). So in short Shhhhhhhh! They didn't! :)

Happy hunting,

Mason

I having a hard time with this thread and what was concluded. 1st photos appeared to be some type of mineral//first guesses that came to mind were maybe something like garnet or  pyrite....almost see octahedral shapes....Are we now saying all of the specimens are indeed small pyrite crystals?

A 2nd and sometimes a 3rd look under better light is always enlightening. I've brought home some quite nice concrete and asphalt chunks and all kinds of things of other things I swore were something else..Regards, Chris 

@Plantguy we were just talking about the pyrite inclusion I made the silly mistake of thinking we're spider eggs, but the thread is about the circular bumps in the case of the first two and indents on the second two.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Ok, Seems like its all pyrite related then? I've seen some sediments that flake off in spots as the pyrite grows and degrades. Regards, Chris 

Archived