Fossil ID required Uk Strange belemnite

jenza88

I found this fossil on Filey Beach, North Yorkshire, UK.  On the outside, what I assume is a large belemnite is visible.  When I cracked it open, instead of finding a long, pointed end, I found a bulbous rounded end.  This appears to be where I thought I would find the end of the belemnite.  Could anyone ID it for me?  Also in the rock was a good sized ammonite but this was separate from the pictured fossil. 

Thank you for your help. 

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

I should let one of the UK guys/gals with authority speak. Initial looks with that layering seems like a cephalopod of some type...maybe a portion of a nautiloid? 

Wait for someone in the know to chime in....Interesting find. 

Regards, Chris 

It is a belemnite phragmocone. They don't occur in the rocks at Filey so it will be an erratic from a bit further north, from the Upper Lias.

If you can post a couple of photos of the ammonite, it might help to ID the belemnite. It's not usually possible to ID them just from the phragmocone and there are two or three possibilities that are typical of the area, depending on the exact bed.

Tarquin

Thank you for your help. This rock was taken from the cliff at Filey so hadn't been washed up on the beach. Here is the ammonite.

1495558061206-1074815732.jpg

Thanks for the photo, that's helpful.

The erratics come from boulder clay in the cliff, having been transported by glacier, so that's OK.

That's a Dactylioceras, the species probably being tenuicostatum or maybe semicelatum, from the Grey Shale Member at the base of the Toarcian stage (Lower Jurassic).

The belemnite that accompanies those is invariably Passaloteuthis bisulcata. In the North Yorkshire coast exposures, it often has the phragmocone attached in a nodule.

It's a special bed in that respect as phragmocones are generally rare.

Tarquin

Archived