A few invertebrates from "Bone Valley matrix"

Monica

Hello all!

Well, I finally hammered into the matrix that @joshuajbelanger sent me as part of my recent "rolling auction" win.  The two chunks that were easier to separate didn't yield much - a couple of small shark teeth and a ray tooth plate (I did save the leftover material so I can look through it again just in case I missed something), but the harder, white chunk gave up quite a few invertebrates!  Here are a few pictures:

Picture #1: The circular object reminds me of a foram - is this possible?

DSCN1814.JPG.17fd111735f2e3419a64bd518b0a5d51.JPG

Picture #2: Bivalves at the top and gastropods on the bottom

DSCN1815.JPG.39ea861ac22c7e53010043552bb41348.JPG

Picture #3: The largest specimen I found - a pretty valve from a bivalve

DSCN1818.JPG.d8dbd950d35faf29c2c076642c332f1d.JPG

Thanks for looking, and thanks for any help you can offer re: identification!  (Although Viola will probably end up keeping all of these items since she loves shells, so if the specimens are too small/worn to identify, then no worries at all - Viola doesn't really care yet about identifying her fossils beyond "shell" and "snail" :))

Monica

I just like these inverts captured in the matrix, but to each is own!  Sorry the BV didn't yield anything big...

Does look like one of the big forams doesnt it....I'm curious about the age. Is this really Bone Valley or one of the other formations? Is that what shows up on the geologic map? 

Regards, Chris 

12 minutes ago, joshuajbelanger said:

I just like these inverts captured in the matrix, but to each is own!  Sorry the BV didn't yield anything big...

Hey Joshua!

I really liked going through the white chunk of rock - from the outside, it didn't look promising, but once I started to crack it open, I found quite a few cute little inverts - Viola is very happy that I said that she can keep them (although I may keep a couple for myself - I'm particularly intrigued by the possible foraminiferan...).  I too like seeing them in a bit of matrix - it makes them look so snug! :)

As for the Bone Valley stuff not yielding much - I plan on going through the broken-up chunks again, so I may be back with something interesting to post - you never know!  And no need to apologize about it - I've gone out fossil-hunting many times and only come back with a couple of not-so-great specimens - getting amazing items is a bonus, but it's the fun of the hunt that drives me to keep going back!  And just to give you a heads-up - I've put together a little thank-you package for you with a couple of my local fossils that you can add to your collection - they'll be mailed off tomorrow (today was a holiday here in Canada so post offices were closed) so keep an eye out for it!

Thanks again!

Monica

3 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

Does look like one of the big forams doesnt it....I'm curious about the age. Is this really Bone Valley or one of the other formations? Is that what shows up on the geologic map? 

Regards, Chris 

I have absolutely no idea about the age of the chunk of rock that I hammered apart - I'm sure that @joshuajbelanger can give some insight...

Foram is the vibe I get as well but I don't have great experience in these. Glad you had fun breaking up the chunks of rock Joshua sent to reveal its little surprises.

Cheers.

-Ken

I think the circular object is a foram as well.

Larger magnification would be preferable,if possible.

Looks a bit like Cycloclypeus 

Fig 1-3: "Nummulites gizehensis"

radde56hb.jpg

Archived