Green Mill Run NC 05-18-17

Jakuzi

Last Thursday I had the pleasure of meeting up with board members @sixgill pete and @AshHendrick to hunt Green Mill Run in North Carolina.   We met in a school parking lot and Pete kindly gifted me with some matrix and other various fossils including a mammoth tooth and megalodon tooth.  Then we went down to the creek where we searched for a place to dig.  And boy did we dig.  These Carolina boys don't mess around.   It may have been the most hardcore manual labor I've ever done in my life.   We would sift gravel from the holes we dug.  This was my first time fossil hunting in this fashion and it produced.(Pete lent me a shovel and screen).  I found a lot of firsts including great whites, makos, whale bone, and even 2 beat up megs.  I think these guys got a good laugh out of my level of excitement over some these finds.

IMG_1035.JPG

Very nice finds, NC is def on my list of places to hunt one day:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

1 hour ago, jcbshark said:

Very nice finds, NC is def on my list of places to hunt one day:)

I was in NC for training and definitely didn't want to miss my opportunity to go hunt there.

Looks like a pretty good haul! Congratulations on a productive hunt!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

A couple killer teeth found by Pete and Ash and given to me. Left is a goblin shark I believe and top right is a Maco.  Not sure on the bottom right though it's pretty distinctive so should be easy to ID.  Sorry there is nothing for scale but these are some pretty good sized teeth.

IMG_1014.JPG

And this bad boy was dug from a "secret" location that Ash took me to after we left GMR.  

IMG_1036.JPG

It was great to meet you Jake, and I had a great time digging with you. The tooth on the bottom right your not sure of is a tiger shark, Galeocerdo sp.  Looks like a pretty nice little meg from Ash's secret spot. No one ever said digging and sifting at GMR was easy, but the rewards can be great. Here is a pic of the giant Hemi I found. It is right at 1 5/8 inch. Not in great shape, but still a beast.

20170518_172951.thumb.jpg.1ac4c7fc9125bec43834bfa7831dba51.jpg

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Interesting to see Scapanorhynchus and Squalicorax yangaensis along with the belemnites. Both sharks are rather early Campanian and the belemnites younger (Maastrichtian). We have lots of crazy lag combinations in NC but this one is exceptional. Would love to see a good Exogyra from there. Am thinking there should be cancellata in with the belemnite abundance.

9 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

It was great to meet you Jake, and I had a great time digging with you. The tooth on the bottom right your not sure of is a tiger shark, Galeocerdo sp.  Looks like a pretty nice little meg from Ash's secret spot. No one ever said digging and sifting at GMR was easy, but the rewards can be great. Here is a pic of the giant Hemi I found. It is right at 1 5/8 inch. Not in great shape, but still a beast.

20170518_172951.thumb.jpg.1ac4c7fc9125bec43834bfa7831dba51.jpg

Great meeting you to.  Can't wait till I have another opportunity to get out there again.   The hard work was definitely worth it.  Seeing you find that hemi definitely clued me in to what potentially could be found in these holes we were digging.   I really appreciate you and ash showing me the way out there. 

11 hours ago, Plax said:

Interesting to see Scapanorhynchus and Squalicorax yangaensis along with the belemnites. Both sharks are rather early Campanian and the belemnites younger (Maastrichtian). We have lots of crazy lag combinations in NC but this one is exceptional. Would love to see a good Exogyra from there. Am thinking there should be cancellata in with the belemnite abundance.

If you're speaking of the oyster(exogyra) I think I may have one that Ash passed off to me.  I don't have a pic on my phone of it and am on the road working till Sat.   I'll post one when I'm home.  

The belemnites where a really interesting find especially the color and the way they mineralized.   Most of the ones I found were on the creek surface bars and not in the holes.

The Belemnite abundance is usually associated with lag concentrations of Exogyra cancellata at the contact between the Peedee Formation and Donoho Creek Formation. Belemnites occur sporadically in the Peedee but don't make it to (at least I haven't observed them) the latest Island Creek Member of that formation. The S. yangaensis are actually indicative of the much older Tarheel formation but may occur in the lower Bladen Formation. You can see why I think this lag is exceptional!

It was awesome to meet and dig with you guys and I'm glad you had some good finds and fun! I hope we can get you that 2+ inch Great White next trip! :) I hope you didn't suffer too much the following day from all the digging, haha! It's worth the suffering when looking over all the goodies while icing the pains away LOL!  I've got an itching to hit up the sulfur some day soon hearing about the magic you guys find out that way! 

On 5/23/2017 at 9:42 PM, Jakuzi said:

If you're speaking of the oyster(exogyra) I think I may have one that Ash passed off to me.  I don't have a pic on my phone of it and am on the road working till Sat.   I'll post one when I'm home.  

The belemnites where a really interesting find especially the color and the way they mineralized.   Most of the ones I found were on the creek surface bars and not in the holes.

Saw an Exogyra from GMR at the Aurora Fossil festival and it was Exogyra cancellata. At least some of the cretaceous there is the basal bed of the Peedee.

44 minutes ago, Plax said:

Saw an Exogyra from GMR at the Aurora Fossil festival and it was Exogyra cancellata. At least some of the cretaceous there is the basal bed of the Peedee.

There were many more where that 1 came from, in situ in the bottom and lower banks at this particular spot. Hurricane Matthew (and other high water) had stripped all the loose sediment off the hard clay for over 100 yards where these and the belemnites were exposed. If you ever get the urge to go to GMR, let me know, and I will PM you the exact location and directions.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

20 minutes ago, SailingAlongToo said:

There were many more where that 1 came from, in situ in the bottom and lower banks at this particular spot. Hurricane Matthew (and other high water) had stripped all the loose sediment off the hard clay for over 100 yards where these and the belemnites were exposed. If you ever get the urge to go to GMR, let me know, and I will PM you the exact location and directions.

I've been dying to go to GMR. Hopefully I'll get to go sometime this summer. For now Ecphora is my #1 target though. I'm locked and loaded for gastropods. :muahaha:

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

On 6/1/2017 at 1:57 PM, SailingAlongToo said:

I'd appreciate that SA2. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I'm also happy to go hunting with/show you around GMR any time and MAYBE take you to a spot with some ecphora :) If I can trust you- haha! :) just PM me anytime! 

thanks Ash. Still working 6 days a week and at my place on Sunday. Tough to get loose.

@AshHendrick

Come on now, the only person you need show Ecphora sites is Ms. SA2. :P

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, DaleW said:

I would love to learn tips  for GMR.  I have build a new an improved sifter screen.

Do not dig in the banks of the creek, only in the reworked gravels.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.