Unusual fossil

Arizona Rex

Greetings,

This is my first post and I am honored to be a part of this forum community.  My goal is to be a courteous, respectful member of the forum - benefiting from, and deeply appreciating the vast amount of knowledge, expertise, and valued opinions shared on this site, and I hope I may have the opportunity to contribute something useful in the future.

I received this fossil from my cousin several years ago and though I once knew what it was, I can no longer remember.  Your thoughts and suggestions to what it is are greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

IMG_9078.jpg

IMG_9571.jpg

IMG_9573.jpg

IMG_9575.jpg

Welcome to the forum from New York! I don't believe this is a fossil. It looks like some form of geological formation. It is still an interesting object.:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Hello from AZ and thank you for possibly validating my gut hunch..... that this may not be a fossil after all.  :wacko:

Let me rephrase and say I was given this 'curiosity' several years ago and I can no longer remember what it is.  Thank you for your helpful reply! :)

In shape it looks like............. a stalagmite, but it looks grainy like it is made of sand, so then what is it really?

Pure speculation: It could be a xenolith found weathering out of a different type of rock. It would be kind of unique at the time, but easily forgotten.

Neat. Any chance you know where it came from? Thinking its geologic also and some lithified mass of finegrained sand. 1st photo appears to show some faint layering? which is interesting. Very similar to these weathered beach worn fragments from the Anatasia formation that we find here in Florida or some of the small concretionary masses found in some of the other local rocks.

5924c93968b68_AnatasiaFormationweatheredfragments.thumb.jpg.5e7cbb5a2a97648a6d8a61e801d37528.jpg

Yours looks a little less polished than those in my photo. Very well could also be from out west somewhere and had a similar geologic past. Az definitely has all kinds of cool rocks. I like it! 

Regards, Chris 

Hello Chris and thank you for your reply.  Unfortunately I don't know where it was found.  I've reached out to my cousin who gave it to me but I haven't heard back yet.  She visits Arizona yearly for the big gem show so it's possible it came from there but unlikely.  On a few occasions she brought something with her from her home state of Michigan.  I agree, the layering is interesting. 

I'll try and get different/better pics.

All the best :D