Porpoise or dolphin

greel

Does my ID look correct?  This came from Miocene spoil piles at the Museum in Aurora, NC.

-greel

100_4312x.jpg

keep in mind Boesse's remark on terminology("periotic" and "petrosal")

Hi all! Nice periotic. That appears closest to periotics which Whitmore and Kaltenbach (2008) identified as aff. Liolithax pappus (which they transferred to Lophocetus).

Harry: left periotic is a kogiid pygmy sperm whale; right periotic is not Pomatodelphis but within the clade Delphinida (Inioidea + Delphinoidea); Pomatodelphis has a second little flange next to the posterior process and still has some semblance of an anterior bullar facet. This specimen is very likely a "kentriodontid", perhaps something like Kentriodon.

Amazing.  I am just a novice on this..  Here I thought that a periodic was a periodic was a periodic and am unable to differentiate right from left.

This post is a keeper and I need to get a LOT smarter on small periodics and thanks to all who contributed to this thread.    Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I am glad to have Boesse's corrections and additions -- very glad!  But, Jack, a periodic is not a periotic.  Your auto-correct is doing you wrong.  :headscratch:

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Archived