Personal Fossil Forum Goal Attained

DPS Ammonite

12 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Well, I will add my 3 cents in, too.  When I add posts that welcome new members or support someone’s previous identification of a fossil I know they probably won’t be marked “informative” but I post them because I really do want to encourage people on this forum.  Should I not post them because I know they will drag down my reputation ratio?  I think not.  If the only posts you make are ones you want to see marked “informative” then I think you are missing out on one of the values of this forum, which is to encourage interaction among its members.

Just re-read my post and realized it sounds like I am dinging people for having informative posts.  That was not my intent.  What I was trying to say is that the better measure for me is the number of informative posts.  So DPS Ammonite with over 600 informative posts and Snolly50 with over 900 are two very informative members, and I appreciate what I learn from them. My paltry score pales in comparison.  I just don’t think Mr. Snolly should feel disheartened because he apparently engages in more chit-chat than Mr. Ammonite.  So @snolly50, your next milestone objective should be to get to 1000.  Then maybe there should be an award for members who reach that lofty goal! :D

• I found this Informative 1

@Sagebrush Steve LOL, snolly's meager success at accumulating "informative" attaboys has been based chiefly on members kind approbation of some of his tomfoolery or  of photographic images, that engendered some appeal. Every now and then snolly will slip up and actually post something that is factually based and helpful. 

snolly likes the "informative" check system, as it provides a modicum of reinforcement for ones efforts, e.g. someone actually looked at what was posted. I would like to see some recognition on the member's page detailing posts that accumulate enough "informative" endorsements to earn a star. That is, a tally like, "56 starred posts."

Should snolly ever reach the milestone of 1000 "informative" posts; be assured, he will no doubt launch a flurry of shameless self-congratulation!

• I found this Informative 3

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

1 minute ago, snolly50 said:

@Sagebrush Steve LOL, snolly's meager success at accumulating "informative" attaboys has been based chiefly on members kind approbation of some of his tomfoolery or  of photographic images, that engendered some appeal. Every now and then snolly will slip up and actually post something that is factually based and helpful. 

snolly likes the "informative" check system, as it provides a modicum of reinforcement for ones efforts, e.g. someone actually looked at what was posted. I would like to see some recognition on the member's page detailing posts that accumulate enough "informative" endorsements to earn a star. That is, a tally like, "56 starred posts."

Should snolly ever reach the milestone of 1000 "informative" posts; be assured, he will no doubt launch a flurry of shameless self-congratulation!

But perhaps a numeric counter pales compared to any of us, on occasion, reminding you in words that your contributions here are valued, relevant, clever, eloquent, and amusing. Why say with a click what we can express as a sentiment in words of appreciation? :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

14 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Should snolly ever reach the milestone of 1000 "informative" posts...

With weeks like this...

snolly.png.33df2960721517efa4b1fb6bd815d876.png

...you might have to prepare your "flurry of shameless self-congratulation" before years end.  :) 

I will be rooting for you. 

• I found this Informative 2

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

12 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Well I just checked your profile and you joined TFF on June 27, 2012, or about 1890 days ago.  At this moment you have a community reputation of 912.  That means you’ve been averaging almost 1 informative post every 2 days.  At that rate you should reach the 1000 milestone in another 6 months.  So let’s plan now for a big celebration next June.  (Don’t think my expensive degree in engineering was all for naught.)

• I found this Informative 1

On 5/23/2017 at 8:51 AM, snolly50 said:

I miss Painshill. 

This is a very disturbing post. Some fast arithmetic reveals only 1/4 of snolly's excellent posts are marked, "Informative" by others. This suggests that DPS Ammonite is twice as informative as snolly! It is a burdensome revelation for snolly to bear.

I, for one, find this post informative.  I STRONGLY suspect snolly will find my post about the informativeness of his post informative.

I’ve only been on here for about 2 months. While not classified as a Newbie I still feel like one. I’m mighty green and have a lot to learn. Although I’m nowhere near green in my own professional field and still say I have a lot to learn.

I think I’m only at about a 1/3 ratio, but I will say seeing the community reputation go up at times has given me a shot in the arm and been quite encouraging. I’ve often been flabbergasted that someone actually thought my comment was helpful.

To me it isn’t about the points. It isn’t about me, my ego or reputation. It’s about learning, growing, helping/encouraging others and growing and strengthening the community of fossil enthusiast, The Fossil Forum. 

Yes, we all want to learn and grow, but ultimately I think whether we consciously acknowledge it or not we all seek to have a sense of belonging, acceptance and identity.

There really aren’t that many places I can go and find people who are as excited or interested in a fossil find as I might be. Not everybody gets our fossil fetishes, fascination or preoccupations. So I imagine many of us come here and in our own little way to find belonging or acceptance to some degree or another in this little community or at the very least come to find camaraderie. 

5 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

I’ve only been on here for about 2 months. While not classified as a Newbie I still feel like one. I’m mighty green and have a lot to learn. Although I’m nowhere near green in my own professional field and still say I have a lot to learn.

I think I’m only at about a 1/3 ratio, but I will say seeing the community reputation go up at times has given me a shot in the arm and been quite encouraging. I’ve often been flabbergasted that someone actually thought my comment was helpful.

To me it isn’t about the points. It isn’t about me, my ego or reputation. It’s about learning, growing, helping/encouraging others and growing and strengthening the community of fossil enthusiast, The Fossil Forum. 

Yes, we all want to learn and grow, but ultimately I think whether we consciously acknowledge it or not we all seek to have a sense of belonging, acceptance and identity.

There really aren’t that many places I can go and find people who are as excited or interested in a fossil find as I might be. Not everybody gets our fossil fetishes, fascination or preoccupations. So I imagine many of us come here and in our own little way to find belonging or acceptance to some degree or another in this little community or at the very least come to find camaraderie. 

Well said. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

10 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Me too exactly how I feel. 

Can we get a “like” button? Pretty please. :D 

I am absolutely guilty of clicking the informative button in substitute for like. Now I’m feeling a bit guilty when I want to like a comment by clicking the finds informative button. Who knew such a thing could induce a codependent dilemma. LOL

47 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Can we get a “like” button? Pretty please. :D

I am absolutely guilty of clicking the informative button in substitute for like. Now I’m feeling a bit guilty when I want to like a comment by clicking the finds informative button. Who knew such a thing could induce a codependent dilemma. LOL

The method for "like" on TFF is simple -- just say as much in a post.  Saying why you like a post may contribute, even minimally, to the Forum.  A naked "like" offers nothing since no one knows the why of it.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

1 hour ago, KimTexan said:

Hear! Hear! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

The method for "like" on TFF is simple -- just say as much in a post.  Saying why you like a post may contribute, even minimally, to the Forum.  A naked "like" offers nothing since no one knows the why of it.

Ahhh, but adding such a post is unlikely to be scored as “informative,” thus dragging down your own ratio of informative posts :(.  Which is why I don’t feel that ratio is an important number to track.

On 12/5/2017 at 8:09 AM, Sagebrush Steve said:

Just re-read my post and realized it sounds like I am dinging people for having informative posts.  That was not my intent.  What I was trying to say is that the better measure for me is the number of informative posts.  So DPS Ammonite with over 600 informative posts and Snolly50 with over 900 are two very informative members, and I appreciate what I learn from them. My paltry score pales in comparison.  I just don’t think Mr. Snolly should feel disheartened because he apparently engages in more chit-chat than Mr. Ammonite.  So @snolly50, your next milestone objective should be to get to 1000.  Then maybe there should be an award for members who reach that lofty goal! :D

Sagebrush Steve,

I caught your meaning and I think a lot of other people did too.  The FF is not a think-tank.  We're more social than that.  Some of things people say here are to welcome new members and encourage those new to the hobby and the science.  We understand the thrill of finding a nice fossil.  Sometimes, it's just an interesting piece of a fossil.  We understand the fascination in that.  No matter how experienced you or how much formal education you have, there is always the chance of finding something weird - something you might wonder about before you figure it out.  I think most of us have had those days when we got skunked out in the field while our friends each found at least one good thing so the best part of the trip is the the pizza or sandwiches you have with them later.  The forum is about that too.  

Years ago, some of us had fun with a haiku contest and we have a category of threads just for contests like that.  There wasn't really anything informative about collecting fossils in that but it was a way for us to burn some free time giving our brains some exercise - something that felt more than just tangential to our interest in fossils. 

We notice when a member hasn't posted in a while and we ask for news.  We mourn here when we hear of a member's passing.  We feel a loss especially when we recall the name and what that person posted about.  The people who put this forum together and keep it running thought all of that was important to the forum too.

Yes, Snolly is another member who I think is owed some "informatives."  His chit-chat rivals some people's best monologue.  

Jess