The Mysterious Cheirurus

andyrice11

21 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

so you're working on this?

edit: you working with/in Silurian carbonates?

Yes, I've collected about 140 specimens from the Liston Creek Limestone..

I've also collected about 170 specimens from Ordovician shales in southeast Indiana. 

I'm planning on doing some sort of morphological comparison between the specimens from both localities, haven't really gotten to in depth with what exactly I'll be doing yet. 

The good news is that this project will be my senior thesis and I'm just now finishing up my sophomore year, so I still have a two years left to do it!

• I found this Informative 2

The only species from Liston Creek is: Hadromeros niagarensis

Attached is a comparative photo and list of Liston Creek fauna.

faunal list from:

Cumings, E.R., & Shrock, R.R. (1928)

The geology of the Silurian rocks of northern Indiana.

Indiana Geological Survey Publication, 75:1-226

IMG.jpg.057b59f735cb604ea85c76ba1afe2468.jpg 

IMG1.thumb.jpg.7ad6c3972cc74ffcd6c4bbd03cb18f30.jpg   IMG2.thumb.jpg.c89c1756b1a7e98a8ee34b0b4c2c88c1.jpg   IMG3.thumb.jpg.3bcdd940867ba6184f798347e2cc6a6d.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

@piranha

Thank you so much!

I've never been able to find a good picture of C. niagarensis but that one you linked looks identical to my specimens! 

Thank you also for linking the faunal list! That will be a tremendous help for my project. Interestingly enough, the site I've collected from is in Peru and I've found specimens from every trilobite genus listed on page 81 except for Phacops. I've been thinking about putting together an updated faunal list for my collection site!

11 hours ago, andyrice11 said:

@piranha

Thank you so much!

I've never been able to find a good picture of C. niagarensis but that one you linked looks identical to my specimens! 

Thank you also for linking the faunal list! That will be a tremendous help for my project. Interestingly enough, the site I've collected from is in Peru and I've found specimens from every trilobite genus listed on page 81 except for Phacops. I've been thinking about putting together an updated faunal list for my collection site!

Always glad to help!  Worth noting, some of the trilobite taxonomy has been revised.  

Delo 1940 tentatively reassigned 'Phacops pulchellus' to:  Eophacops? pulchellus.  

Delo, D.M. (1940)

Phacopid trilobites of North America.

Geological Society of America Special Papers, 29:1-135

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png