ynot

Photo stacking microscope pictures, need some advice.

ynot

Hey hi Y'All,

I am wanting to do some photo stacking and would like some advice on the available programs for doing it.

I use an Amscope microscope and the field of view changes when I refocus.

This causes the stacked pictures I have tried to be very blurred after merging. (I only have the included programs that came with the microscope.)

Can You tell Me what program (s) are the best for the stacking of micro pictures? How do I compensate for the change in the field of view?

Thanks for any help.

Tony

Raggedy Man

I use Photoshop. If the field of depth is small, minute adjustments are all you need and the distortion is minimal. Render the image and then if needed you can crop the edges off. It takes some practice with trial and error, but im sure you'll catch on quick Tony.

P.S. The trick for microscope photo stacking is making sure you use a scope in which the occular lenses are also able to be adjusted and has zoom capabilities. What scope are you using?

Al Dente

I use Combine Z which is a free software. It works pretty good. When I got a new computer several months ago I had a difficult time finding the Combine Z program. I eventually downloaded it from a website that also downloaded a bunch of spyware. It took me a while to clean it up.

Plantguy

Curious to see how this thread goes.... as I've got a birthday coming up and I was going to try Helicon pro...last look was 60-$100? for an annual license...Will be using a Galaxy S7 and I will let you know...actually hoping you all find something free and bug free for me before I fully committ! 

Regards, Chris 

ynot
4 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

What scope are you using?

An Amscope 3.5x - 180x boom stand trinocular zoom microscope, with a 9 megapixel digital camera.

I got it so I could take pictures of the inclusions in Quartz crystals from My claim. But it works good for small fossils too.

aaaaaincl-0010.thumb.jpg.b0a474205b4ed4dca25520327e4bf01e.jpgaaaaaincla-0008.thumb.jpg.4a0681166770cee8fdeb35b131006bf8.jpg

4 hours ago, Al Dente said:

that also downloaded a bunch of spyware.

That scares the bejeebers out of Me. I am very uneducated with modern computers and doubt I could "clean it up"!

55 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

.actually hoping you all find something free and bug free for me before I fully committ! 

Me too!

Yvie

I use Picolay with a microscope similar to the Amscope.It's free and compensates for distortion and if you move (accidentally).Very old reviews said it was buggy,but later ones don't and I have not had any problems.

Raggedy Man

Oh forgot...sweet piece of rutilated quartz

ynot
54 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

Oh forgot...sweet piece of rutilated quartz

Thanks!

18 hours ago, Yvie said:

I use Picolay

I tried to download this and it gets blocked by My malware program. Tried multiple access points.

18 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

list of free software for focus sta

The only one I could get to was picolay and it was full of malware. The others just gave a pdf conversion program even when I went through google to find them.

ARG!!

I know it is something I am doing, but what.:headscratch:

Yvie

The home page of the Picolay I use is www.picolay.de

the tutorials and manuals are pdf I think.This was my first attempt using it on a 1-2mm forminifera in a flint

foram.jpg

ynot
7 hours ago, Yvie said:

The home page of the Picolay I use is www.picolay.de

Tried again and it gets blocked as malware.

ynot
On 5/23/2017 at 8:05 AM, Al Dente said:

I use Combine Z which is a free software. It works pretty good. When I got a new computer several months ago I had a difficult time finding the Combine Z program. I eventually downloaded it from a website that also downloaded a bunch of spyware. It took me a while to clean it up.

I downloaded this one and it seems to be working. Actually got Combine ZP  (Thanks @Al Dente)

Here are the first 2 attempts...

5926642719148_firststack.thumb.jpg.9f0b6cdaf9f9418b8cc9d8bb35bb6af8.jpg592664354ebc6_firststack2.thumb.jpg.fd353076a0e6f9ff546a26a8d9d4c6a8.jpg

Much better depth of view than any of the original pics.

Looking forward to getting some time to use the microscope to do some fossil pictures!

Thanks Y'All!

Tony

Yvie

@ynot glad you cracked it Tony.

Looking forward to the fossils.

Yvie

ynot
5 hours ago, Yvie said:

@ynot glad you cracked it Tony.

Looking forward to the fossils.

Yvie

Thanks.

Me too, but it may be a while before I have the time to do any playing on the scope.

Yvie
8 hours ago, ynot said:

Thanks.

Me too, but it may be a while before I have the time to do any playing on the scope.

Summer is over taking us,went horse racing at Goodwood today,on a fossil day and the garden needs seeing to too!!Winters are not so bleak now with the scopes as you'll find out!:dinothumb:

ynot
1 hour ago, Yvie said:

Summer is over taking us,went horse racing at Goodwood today,on a fossil day and the garden needs seeing to too!!Winters are not so bleak now with the scopes as you'll find out!:dinothumb:

Actually it has more to do with whether My Dad is home or not. I have to set it up when He won't trip over it.

Also I have had it for 6 or7 years now. The pictures I used to make the stacks were taken several years ago, but would not stack well with the software that came with the scope. Look for My posts in micropaleontology sub forum-- 

There are more of My threads in that section also.

ynot

Just an update?

I do not know if it is related, but My computer crashed this afternoon.

I am using a backup computer for the time being.