Hello Fellow Fossil Enthusiasts!

thebluecatapilla

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum but certainly not the last! I came across this forum while looking for a place to hunt for fossils nearby me, and everyone's enthusiasm has rekindled my boyhood love of Fossil Hunting and Collecting. The forum looked like one of the best and kindest communities I have encountered on the internet.  I look forward to conversing with everyone, seeing some cool fossils, and most importantly adding to my paleontological knowledge and fossil collection.

Some facts about me,

My name is Ara, and I am an Armenian (Բարէւ!) 19 year old boy and a Ecology/Pre-Medicine Student at UCLA (Go Bruins!). I'm currently in the process of trying to get access to our awesome fossil archives, as soon as I do I will make sure to post some pictures for everyone to see!

I have loved dinosaurs, and fossils in general, since being born.

My collection is certainly quite small, with less than 20 specimens currently. I will post some pictures and ask for more IDs soon. Most of my collection consists of Trilobites from UDIG fossils in Utah, Some specimens from a river bed in Montreal, and some other invertebrates from the local areas (Santa Monica Mountains, Malibu, Mullholland Highway, etc...)

Some of my other interests include: 

Ichthyology, Fishing, Fish Keeping, History of the World Wars, Reading, Gardening, Collecting Succulents, Cacti, Orchids and Tillandsias, anything having to do with Automobiles, and firearm collecting. 

Last but not least, I pose a question for everyone: As a fisherman, I have noticed that anglers tend to be very competitive with other fisherman, and aren't always the nicest when it comes to congratulating other's catches, and worst off all sharing fishing spots. Do you guys think a similar mentality exists among Fossil Hunters? If so, is it rude to ask people for their hunting spots, are these well guarded secrets that if "I-told-you-I-would-have-to-kill-you-kind-of-thing" lol? 

I look forward to many years of Fossil Collecting joy with everyone! :)

Edited by thebluecatapilla

Welcome to the forum. :)

Looking forward to seeing your fossils!

There is an etiquette about fossil-hunting locations, and it is best not to ask others about their "honey holes." ;) That being said, over time and participation here, and under the right circumstances, many of our members organize group trips. :)

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Welcome to the forum from New York! As a fisherman and fossilhunter myself, I gladly share my spots, as I believe good deeds will eventually be rewarded!:) But not everbody feels that way.:(

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

22 minutes ago, Kane said:

Welcome to the forum. :)

Looking forward to seeing your fossils!

There is an etiquette about fossil-hunting locations, and it is best not to ask others about their "honey holes." ;) That being said, over time and participation here, and under the right circumstances, many of our members organize group trips. :)

17 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Welcome to the forum from New York! As a fisherman and fossilhunter myself, I gladly share my spots, as I believe good deeds will eventually be rewarded!:) But not everbody feels that way.:(

Ah so I see! Thank you for the information! Definitely will not ask but if someone is so kind as to share I certainly would not pass up a good spot;) A group try certainly would be quite entertaining! 

@Darktooth I believe that is a good philosophy indeed! What kind of fishing and fossil collecting do you mainly dabble with? 

Edited by thebluecatapilla

Welcome to the Forum, from Connecticut. :) 

As stated before, it is best not to ask for peoples hot spots, but, it doesn't hurt to ask about more well known sites. Also - if you make friends with other hunters, you may be brought into a group of people who go to certain spots.

Also keep in mind, it doesn't hurt to ask, but don't expect the answers you seek, and don't begrudge someone their right to keep it to themselves. :unsure: 

Many people have spent years researching and hunting for sites, and then learning the ins and outs of those sites. They've spent money on gas, time,  hiking and exploring, and shed sweat, and blood in search of primo spots. You can't expect something for nothing, and many fossil hunters will not respect you if you get angry about people not sharing sites. Sometimes you have to "pay some dues" to get to the good stuff.

I have learned to get to know people a bit, before I take them to outstanding fossil locations. The better I know them, the more willing I am to take them somewhere productive. :) 

I have also learned to enjoy the research and hunting, hiking, and searching that goes into finding sites.  Put enough effort in, and you will be rewarded.

Welcome again. ;) 
Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the FF Ara.  There is lots of information about public knowledge spots to hunt if you comb through the boards.  And there are frequent gatherings of FF members at various places throughout the year.  I haven't collected on the left coast before so I don't know anything beyond some of the well known locals like shark tooth hill, but I'm sure you will find enough to get pointed in the right direction.

If you ever visit Maryland I'd be glad to tell you my spots although I don't have many, but I'm continually finding new ones

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!  

Some of my other interests include: 

Ichthyology, Fishing, Fish Keeping, History of the World Wars, Reading, Gardening, Collecting Succulents, Cacti, Orchids and Tillandsias, anything having to do with Automobiles, and firearm collecting. 

It sounds like we have a lot in common besides paleontology!

I'm looking forward to your contributions!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Hello, Ara...you've certainly found the right place...welcome. :)

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

30 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Welcome to the Forum, from Connecticut. :) 

As stated before, it is best not to ask for peoples hot spots, but, it doesn't hurt to ask about more well known sites. Also - if you make friends with other hunters, you may be brought into a group of people who go to certain spots.

Also keep in mind, it doesn't hurt to ask, but don't expect the answers you seek, and don't begrudge someone their right to keep it to themselves. :unsure: 

Many people have spent years researching and hunting for sites, and then learning the ins and outs of those sites. They've spent money on gas, time,  hiking and exploring, and shed sweat, and blood in search of primo spots. You can't expect something for nothing, and many fossil hunters will not respect you if you get angry about people not sharing sites. Sometimes you have to "pay some dues" to get to the good stuff.

I have learned to get to know people a bit, before I take them to outstanding fossil locations. The better I know them, the more willing I am to take them somewhere productive. :) 

I have also learned to enjoy the research and hunting, hiking, and searching that goes into finding sites.  Put enough effort in, and you will be rewarded.

Welcome again. ;) 
Regards,

Thank you for the reply! Very informative indeed, I appreciate the information :) especially the part about the labor put into finding certain spots and then people just expecting you to share it with them, definitely a huge parallel with fishing spots!

21 minutes ago, RandyB said:

Welcome to the FF Ara.  There is lots of information about public knowledge spots to hunt if you comb through the boards.  And there are frequent gatherings of FF members at various places throughout the year.  I haven't collected on the left coast before so I don't know anything beyond some of the well known locals like shark tooth hill, but I'm sure you will find enough to get pointed in the right direction.

Thank you, i will definitely do my fair share of combing!

I can see from your profile picture that you are an avid angler yourself ;)

14 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

If you ever visit Maryland I'd be glad to tell you my spots although I don't have many, but I'm continually finding new ones

Thank you very much kind sir! hopefully I can take you up on that offer some day!

6 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!  

It sounds like we have a lot in common besides paleontology!

I'm looking forward to your contributions!

-Joe

So I see! Always glad meeting people with similar interests online because most of my peers seem to have interest no where near ours. I guess we are just but from a different grain... 

8 minutes ago, PFOOLEY said:

Hello, Ara...you've certainly found the right place...welcome. :)

Thank you very much PFOOLEY!

3 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

And of a different age!  I can't even remember when I was 19 years old!  Still...kindred spirits at least!

-Joe

Ah well, judging by that I'm guessing you were born somewhere around the Cambrian Period, am I right ;)

Just now, Fruitbat said:

Oh HECK no!  I'm Ediacaran! :D Actually...I was born about nine years after the end of WWII!

-Joe

Ah I see. Must have been quite the time period to grow up in!

Yeah...especially since I was born and raised in Germany (Army brat)!  One of my favorite playgrounds in the area around Munich was an old Tiger I tank that had apparently run out of gas and been abandoned in perfect order.  Of course, some spoilsport had already come along and removed all of the ammunition but, when I think about it, it probably wouldn't have been very wise to turn a twelve-year-old kid loose with a working 88mm Kwk 36 L/56 gun in a turret that still traversed!

-Joe

Fruitbat's PDF Library

9 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

Yeah...especially since I was born and raised in Germany (Army brat)!  One of my favorite playgrounds in the area around Munich was an old Tiger I tank that had apparently run out of gas and been abandoned in perfect order.  Of course, some spoilsport had already come along and removed all of the ammunition but, when I think about it, it probably wouldn't have been very wise to turn a twelve-year-old kid loose with a working 88mm Kwk 36 L/56 gun in a turret that still traversed!

-Joe

Oh WOW, you answered my next question which was whether your Father happened to have served in WWII. Must have been very interesting to grow up there. And an actual Tiger! That thing must be worth a fortune nowadays, quite the fossil in its own right. Hopefully its in a museum somewhere and not rotting away in some field as a child's play toy (no offense LOL). Personally think that spoilsport did the right thing ;) Child + Tiger + Gasoline = Unsafe 

Welcome.  No one will ever fault you when requesting site info if you first invite them to an equal value site they don't know about, particularly one you found through your own inspiration and effort.  Sharing with people you've grown to trust and respect over time is quite rewarding.  

For me, the most rewarding path is constant exploration for virgin sites.  Keep in mind that commitment to finding unknown sites through your own exploration is a hard road at first, but it gets easier with experience, and is highly rewarding over time, and that experience is not something that can be handed to you.  

I'd suggest starting by joining a club and/or restricting requests at first to pointers at well known sites.  Veteran collectors will recognize upstanding conduct, and will in time invite you to lesser known sites.  DO NOT SHARE LITTLE KNOWN SITE INFO THAT YOU DID NOT FIND YOURSELF.  If you spend part of your time exploring for new sites, you'll better understand the site respect that veterans hope for when they share.

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

2 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Welcome.  No one will ever fault you when requesting site info if you first invite them to an equal value site they don't know about, particularly one you found through your own inspiration and effort.  Sharing with people you've grown to trust and respect over time is quite rewarding.  

For me, the most rewarding path is constant exploration for virgin sites.  Keep in mind that commitment to finding unknown sites through your own exploration is a hard road at first, but it gets easier with experience, and is highly rewarding over time, and that experience is not something that can be handed to you.  

I'd suggest starting by joining a club and/or restricting requests at first to pointers at well known sites.  Veteran collectors will recognize upstanding conduct, and will in time invite you to lesser known sites.  DO NOT SHARE LITTLE KNOWN SITE INFO THAT YOU DID NOT FIND YOURSELF.  If you spend part of your time exploring for new sites, you'll better understand the site respect that veterans hope for when they share.

Danke! Thank you for the information. I definitely look forward to searching for similar virgin spots. Thank you for sharing the "Code of Conduct" I look forward to getting the opportunity to fossil hunt with others :)

I don't know what happened to the Tiger I.  I'm going back to Germany in July (for the first time since I left there about 50 years ago) and I hope to show my daughter where here 'daddy' grew up.  I'm sure the tank is long gone by now.  I do believe that, if I'd had the fuel back then, I probably could have started the beast up and driven it home.  Of course...I can't imagine what my parents would have thought if I'd pulled a 56 ton tank into our driveway!  From what I've read about driving one...they weren't all that difficult to steer!

-Joe

Fruitbat's PDF Library

1 hour ago, thebluecatapilla said:

Ah so I see! Thank you for the information! Definitely will not ask but if someone is so kind as to share I certainly would not pass up a good spot;) A group try certainly would be quite entertaining! 

@Darktooth I believe that is a good philosophy indeed! What kind of fishing and fossil collecting do you mainly dabble with? 

For the past few years I mainly fly fish for trout, salmon, and steelhead. I grew up spin fishing for whatever would take my bait.  As far as fossil hunting I mainly hunt for sharkteeth and trilobites. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

37 minutes ago, thebluecatapilla said:

Danke! Thank you for the information. I definitely look forward to searching for similar virgin spots. Thank you for sharing the "Code of Conduct" I look forward to getting the opportunity to fossil hunt with others :)

This may not be everyone's Code of Conduct, but it is a safe Code of Conduct that can open doors with others.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

57 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

I don't know what happened to the Tiger I.  I'm going back to Germany in July (for the first time since I left there about 50 years ago) and I hope to show my daughter where here 'daddy' grew up.  I'm sure the tank is long gone by now.  I do believe that, if I'd had the fuel back then, I probably could have started the beast up and driven it home.  Of course...I can't imagine what my parents would have thought if I'd pulled a 56 ton tank into our driveway!  From what I've read about driving one...they weren't all that difficult to steer!

-Joe

Sounds like a fun trip indeed! Surprised to hear they weren't difficult to steer, most things that weigh that much tend to be lol.

28 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

For the past few years I mainly fly fish for trout, salmon, and steelhead. I grew up spin fishing for whatever would take my bait.  As far as fossil hunting I mainly hunt for sharkteeth and trilobites. 

Ah nice! So fly fisherman I suppose?

24 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

This may not be everyone's Code of Conduct, but it is a safe Code of Conduct that can open doors with others.

Good to know, thank you!