Oregon Coast Specimen- any help is appreciated!

NWGeoFan

When I first removed sections of it I had a hunch of a possible squid shell, but I have never been able to commit myself to an ID so any help however minuscule is greatly appreciated!

"I am going to dig up dinosaurs whether they are liquid or solid"

Even if you can just point me in the general type of fossil is appreciated.

Edited by NWGeoFan
not needed

10 minutes ago, Boesse said:

Where's it from? What's the formation?

It is from the Oregon Coast from Beverly Beach, the formation is the Astoria Formation. My guess is Miocene age.

I would say this is probably a piece of petrified wood or less likely a bone. It looks to straight to be a bone but you never know. I know they have found whale bones in that formation.

Just now, Vball said:

I would say this is probably a piece of petrified wood or less likely a bone. It looks to straight to be a bone but you never know. I know they have found whale bones in that formation.

I had though about bone too, my only issue with wood is the odd structure of it and it seemed to have like a shell crust, but thanks for the input!

More photos if yall need them.

IMG_0621.JPG

IMG_0622.JPG

I wonder if it is a clam burrow maybe filled in and fossilized. I agree doesn't look like wood on the bottom part. Interesting what ever it is. Nice find!!!

Huh that would be interesting, and thanks! I am hopeful I can figure out what it is, very grateful for the input!

25 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Bit of fossilized methane seep,I think

This seems like a valid lead due to results from a search thanks for letting me know!

Ahh... methane seep? A methane seep just looks like a concretion. This is just an old-fashioned bone. Could you please post a photograph of the bone in cross-section?

• I Agree 1

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Looks very much like a rib bone to me?

RB

Bone would be very interesting, though I would have to surrender the specimen if so. Only issue is its very straight, not curved whatsoever. I know they do pull whale bones from the area, there was even a mosasaur recovered there a while back. I will definitely have to look into it being a bone.

3 hours ago, Boesse said:

Ahh... methane seep? A methane seep just looks like a concretion. This is just an old-fashioned bone. Could you please post a photograph of the bone in cross-section?

Will do as soon as I get home.

12 hours ago, doushantuo said:

Bit of fossilized methane seep,I think

I'm curious...where did that idea come from. Are you thinking feeder pipe?

13 minutes ago, RJB said:

How about some photos of some of the ends on those pieces?

RB

I will send as soon as i get home from sccool.

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Looks very much like a rib bone to me?

RB

Rib bone seems to be a viable option, would be a great find as Oregon has found very minimal vertebrae fossils. By the way these pictures offline look very much like my specimens.

IMG_0626.JPG

IMG_0627.JPG

I went to Beverly beach many years ago and my then 8 year old son found a rock with a partial skull in it.  I think i donated that to the Sierra Nevada natural History Museum? 

RB

• Enjoyed 1

4 minutes ago, RJB said:

I went to Beverly beach many years ago and my then 8 year old son found a rock with a partial skull in it.  I think i donated that to the Sierra Nevada natural History Museum? 

RB

Huh good to know, this was my first time there and my first time extracting fossils myself ever. If i am pretty sure it is a rib I will contact probably the University of Oregon due to the rarity of vertebrate fossils in Oregon.

12 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Certainly looks like some bone I have. As has been said images of the ends are needed. 

Heres the end of a segment

IMG_0631.PNG

Just now, NWGeoFan said:

Heres the end of a segment

IMG_0631.PNG

Heres a second one sorry its blurry, best i can do for now, but it does show the coloring better.

IMG_0632.PNG

Hmm not sure because of the images. Put the 'thing' down so you're not holding it and try and take a more steady shot. Shooting outside will help you a lot because of increased brightness. Alternatively if you've got some sticky tac (we call it blu-tac here, dunno about where you are) and try and mount the end on a regular flatbed scanner. Cover the rest of the scanning area with some dark fabric and scan at a high resolution. If your 'thing' is fragile it's your call if you want to try this. A good image of the end will really help with id. 

12 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Hmm not sure because of the images. Put the 'thing' down so you're not holding it and try and take a more steady shot. Shooting outside will help you a lot because of increased brightness. Alternatively if you've got some sticky tac (we call it blu-tac here, dunno about where you are) and try and mount the end on a regular flatbed scanner. Cover the rest of the scanning area with some dark fabric and scan at a high resolution. If your 'thing' is fragile it's your call if you want to try this. A good image of the end will really help with id. 

Thanks for the advice, I had my brother take it as i am not currently home, but as soon as i get home i will try for it.

Hmm, not sure yet. In the earlier photos it definitely looks like bone. If it were a rib I'd expect it to be curved. One other possibility - especially if the bone is very, very thin and hollow - would be a Pelagornis humerus.