What is this

hieberster

we found this landscaping- we think it is a tooth or teeth- maybe just from a cow we don't know. I am in South Dakota and was in a load of washed rock delivered. i have other photos if someone needs to see them. i have no idea where to start with this and found this site-any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

Welcome to the Forum. :)

We need to see a picture of the chewing surface to positively ID.  

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yep, yep, the chewing surface would be on the other side. With that said, the tooth is almost certainly from a cow, like you suspected it might be. :) Still, a view straight down from the top of the other side of the tooth would settle it 100%.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

know almost nothing about the differences between bison and cow but this looks mineralized and came from washed gravel. Would provenance and preservation rule out cow?

7 hours ago, Plax said:

know almost nothing about the differences between bison and cow but this looks mineralized and came from washed gravel. Would provenance and preservation rule out cow?

In this case, provenance is uncertain and preservation is problematic based on images.

Bison teeth tend to be larger than cow teeth, so do some measurements and compare with these numbers:

bison_teeth_table.jpg

cow_lowers_A.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

On 5/25/2017 at 4:21 PM, Harry Pristis said:

In this case, provenance is uncertain and preservation is problematic based on images.

Bison teeth tend to be larger than cow teeth, so do some measurements and compare with these numbers:

the tooth doesn't look like a modern cow tooth in general appearance (mineralization) and washed gravel in that area is usually glacial till or river gravel. Could be a cow tooth as you say. I did say I knew almost nothing about the differences!

4 hours ago, Plax said:

the tooth doesn't look like a modern cow tooth in general appearance (mineralization) and washed gravel in that area is usually glacial till or river gravel. Could be a cow tooth as you say. I did say I knew almost nothing about the differences!

I have handled many hundreds of mammal teeth over decades, and I still can't determine from an image whether a tooth is mineralized or not.  Help me learn.

I don't mean to single you out, Plax, because I have heard similar claims over the years here.  What exactly do you see in these images that you interpret as "mineralization"?

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

no problem Harry. Compare the pic to your pic of a cow jaw with teeth. Am not doubting your expertise one bit.

The tooth in the OP has translucence, a hint of possible vivianite replacement, conchoidal or perhaps faceted fracture to the enamel. A look is difficult to quantify at times and appreciate your inquiry. As I said before this could be a cow tooth but it doesn't look like (preservation) the teeth in my cow skull or ones I've seen from colonial sites.