Greenops barberi Gem in the making

Malcolmt

In the past month I have had some really nice trilos pass through my workshop and this one will be no exception. Unfortunately , yet once again it is not mine to keep. It was found by Quarryman Dave on the forum here on Monday May 22, 2017 at Penn Dixie. Penn Dixie does obviously have the potential for you to find something more than the common eldgregeops that it is known for. Jason a forum member who works at Penn Dixie spent his afternoon off getting to know us crazy Canadians. Unfortunately he left shortly before this was found. This find turned a relatively unproductive day into actually a pretty good one. Unfortunately for us we excavated an area that had particularly ugly smoke creek matrix that really did not want to split or break out ......... even with 3 strong guys , multiple pry bars and the diamond rock saw. We probably left 10 good blocks for the next group foolish enough to try to muscle them out. 

Between Dave and myself, I think we found 3 complete prone eldregeops and 6 or 7 enrolled ones all in matrix. We generally give anything that is not in matrix or 100% to the kids that are always at this fossil park. If you have never been , plan to get there some day, it is worth it and they are all good people that run it. On Monday when we were there they had about 300 grade 6 students on a field trip and we were kept busy handing out goodies to them and answering their question "What is this"

As for this greenops under consideration, its not quite as rare as the bellacartwrightia that is up for consideration for the May Fossil of the Month but it is rare enough that I have never found a complete one myself. I have a couple that are like 90% complete. This one although a bit twisted looks to be 98% complete. It is in a quite typical 2/3 enrolled position with the genal spines flying out to the sides.

It has some minor damage on the pygidium , the very tip of one of the genal spines is missing and it has 3 broken pygidial spines. I will likely repair all of those defects as this will be a display piece and is unlikely to ever be sold. It was found as just a pygidium (tail) poking through the matrix. They always break in the same place for a molt or incomplete so I would always recommend taking home any greenops pygidium that sneaks under the matrix before the start of the pygidium. Perhaps one in 100 of the pygidium's will continue into something very very nice.

You can see here (lol) that this one will be a real beauty ....... not really, just kidding but the best specimens are always pretty much completely buried.

5925d2d0155f1_DaveGreenopsunprepped.thumb.jpg.48c01ffe32300b9aaf6f6c6b655a3fd2.jpg

At that point  I had about 1/2 hour invested in the prep.

Here are some pictures at about 3 hours with probably another 3 to go.

5925d3485c08a_Davegreenops1.thumb.jpg.8ffd74a29088f283aeb7f5f6eeb7bb36.jpg

5925d34c7ceb9_DaveGreenops2.thumb.jpg.2d231abbded9f60374e3fcfc6027510c.jpg

5925d3522ea05_DaveGreenops3.thumb.jpg.fd4c2cde7d6f7138e792b5750c8c805f.jpg

The eyes on this one are amazing with some pyritization on one of them that makes it real interesting. I will make this somewhat into a flying trilo and will try to preserve the pyritized worm burrow that you can see. Stay tuned for more pictures as I make progress on this bug.

Reminds be of the Bellacartwrightia you just finished. I know a lot of folks are all about prone trilobites, but I really like this slight bend and curvature. Splendid job @Malcolmt With the pyritized burrows and detail this one is definitely a keeper.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Great prep job and really good photography too. What talent!!

I on the other hand, don't have the patience to do this kind of prep work. Cutting grass is more my speed.....  Instant gratification. :)

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Great work! Looking forward to the end result!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

For your updated information, your trilobite is a Greenops barberi, not Greenops boothi

• I found this Informative 5

Awesome - nice prep so far. I'm heading to Penn Dixie for the first time this Saturday...can't wait!

Thanks GK, you certainly would know better than me. Is the main difference that the barberi have more triangular pygidial spines . Is boothi even used anymore the Arkona ones also got renamed. Gets very confusing... guess I need to reread the 1997 paper

14 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

Thanks GK, you certainly would know better than me. Is the main difference that the barberi have more triangular pygidial spines . Is boothi even used anymore the Arkona ones also got renamed. Gets very confusing... guess I need to reread the 1997 paper

A study of asteropygine evolution by means of cladistic analysis...

The systematics and phylogeny of the Devonian subfamily Asteropyginae (Trilobita: Phacopida)

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14772019.2013.804008

• I found this Informative 3

18 hours ago, aek said:

Awesome - nice prep so far. I'm heading to Penn Dixie for the first time this Saturday...can't wait!

Be prepared for some very hard work if you want to get the good stuff out. It takes a lot of hard shale to split and you'll find a few but they will look really good.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Greenops barberi - axial lappet is narrow, relatively long, triangular.

Greenops boothi - axial lappet is broad with a triangular termination.

Whiteley, T.E., Kloc, G.J., & Brett, C.E. (2002)
The Trilobites of New York.
Cornell University Press, 380 pp.

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

18 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Thanks P. 

Glad to help with another informative post! 

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Looks awesome Malcolm.  Thanks for the amazing prep.  Got to submit for fossil of the month. So glad I decided to see if it's all there.  After the kind of day we had splitting rocks and finding very little  its easy to say the heck with it!! Had absolutely no idea it would be the find of the year! !

Quarrycomber

36 minutes ago, Quarryman Dave said:

Looks awesome Malcolm.  Thanks for the amazing prep.  Got to submit for fossil of the month. So glad I decided to see if it's all there.  After the kind of day we had splitting rocks and finding very little  its easy to say the heck with it!! Had absolutely no idea it would be the find of the year! !

That's often the case with such special finds. One learns through experience to take anything suspicious home as long as it weighs under 10lbs. :P Well done, Dave and Malcolm and thanks to Gerry and Scott for the id.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 5/25/2017 at 7:33 PM, Malcolmt said:

The Greenops from Arkona are called Greenops widderensis. From New York, Greenops barberi is found in the Windom Shale. This is the species that is found at Penn Dixie. From the trilobite beds in the lower Wanakah Shale is Greenops grabaui. Both of these species are found in Western New York. Greenops boothi is  found in Central New York. It occurs in the Moscow Formation from an undescribed unit between the Windom and Kashong Shale. Most of the Greenops specimens that come from New York are either G. barberi or G. grabaui. Sometimes specimens of Greeops are collected from the Kashong Shale which are an undescribed species. If you have "Trilobites of New York," all the New York species are nicely illustrated and differences described.

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks GK.. Unfortunately that book is still on my Christmas wish list. The description on Amazon definitely makes me want to have one. 

Trilobites of New York is a must-have for all you Ontario trilobitophiles.

Greenops boothi was originally described from a Pennsylvania Mahantango Formation locality, and subsequently the name was applied indiscriminately to all New York and Ontario asteropyginid trilobites.  Lieberman & Kloc (1997) revised these trilobites and found that most New York and Ontario asterpyginids differed from Greenops boothi, some so much that new genera (Bellcartwrightia and Stummia) had to be established to receive some of the species.

Don