The Most Random Looking Spot

Cris

So, it was a little rainy yesterday, but Forum member @addicted2fossils and myself were dying to get our fossil fix. We decided to take a drive over to some dirt roads that the county uses shell pit material on. Usually we can find a couple small shark teeth and a ton of marine invertebrates that we believe are from the Caloosahatchee formation....and occasionally, we get lucky and find something a little larger.

This, by far, is the most "staged" looking video I have ever taken since you can't really see much of the shell material around the tooth.. A few people on social media are convinced we bought a tooth and threw it down for the video :rofl:

But, this is where the little megalodon tooth was when I saw it. I suspect it survived because it was in such a sandy spot. A couple modern chips on the tooth make me think it has been run over quite a few times. This isn't my best or biggest tooth, by far, but it was a blast finding it on a random terrible looking road.

We had a ton of rain.....and we are going straight back to these roads to put in a full day of driving around very, very slowly with our heads out of the window. With some luck, we'll have some more video tomorrow.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

OnPaste.20170524-180427.png

And here's a pic of a small great white shark tooth from the side of a dirt road very close to the one in the vid above. :) 

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Hi,

Oh Cris ! Very nice find ! Incredible... Just under your feet !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Florida side roads amaze me in the number of fossils they contain. So I do not doubt your video at all!!!!

Nice to think outside the box (or outside the car on a slow drive). I've never found any shark teeth when poking around Caloosahatchee material but I may have to change my assumptions on this. Great finds.

Cheers.

-Ken

Good luck out there guys, love the GW too! Looks like our rainy season may be on its way:fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Hey Cris, those are great-its amazing what a little rain will do-congrats.

To add to your staging you need to find some poisonous snakes and get them in the shots, maybe some spiders, maybe a small gator hissing and have one of those sandhill crane pairs screeching at the top of their lungs in the background. Continued hunting success! Regards, Chris 

Nicely done. Florida is a fossil hunters paradise.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Awesome finds!

I have been fascinated by the Great whites recently, they are becoming some of my favourites!

4 hours ago, digit said:

Nice to think outside the box (or outside the car on a slow drive). I've never found any shark teeth when poking around Caloosahatchee material but I may have to change my assumptions on this. Great finds.

Cheers.

-Ken

Ken,

The funny thing about our shell marls is that the  vertebrate material isn't evident until it's been rained and driven over. Our Waccamaw is the same way. Apparently the vertebrate material is host to all kinds of epibionts and must be processed to come free of this crust. The Waccamaw is justly famous for it's invertebrate diversity but some really nice teeth and bones come from local driveways and parking lots.

Could driving up and down a shell marl road in a pickup truck be classified as fossil prepping? :P

My yard is filled with shell fossil material (thinly sprinkled throughout a large amount of sand). If you did down deep enough you end up hitting a (oolitic, I believe) caprock layer that is pockmarked with what appear to be solution holes. These likely date from a time when this limestone layer was probably at the surface and vegetative matter collected in shallow depressions and rotted down releasing weak acids that further eroded the layer resulting in deeper pockets which collected more material which further deepened the depressions--resulting in an egg carton like surface of adjacent solution holes.

In the sandy layer above this caprock I finds lots of little bivalves, the occasional nice gastropod (whelks, and conchs mostly) and very rarely little corals but I have never found a single shark tooth nor any vertebrate material while digging in my yard (mostly planting or digging up trees/shrubs/etc.).

Cheers.

-Ken

Hearing the enthusiasm in your voices totally planted a big ole smile my face. :)  Thanks for sharing your video, Cris!

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

@Cris With a buddy who's alias is @addicted2fossils you can't go wrong! Congrats on the find and I do hope to see this in the fossil of the month competition as it's a real beauty of a Meg! :dinothumb:

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

My concrete slab my porch sits on has some interesting invertebrates.

Archived