Possible seeds in coal?

Ally Stenhouse

Hi all, I have a "lump" of coal which I found at the side of a playpark many years ago and have never been able to identify the tiny fossilised things inside. I'll attach pictures I've taken down a dissecting microscope - the brown circular things are 1mm in diameter and the only other fossilised section is a 5mm wide length of something (possible plant stem) which is incomplete at both ends (and therefore not very useful). Hope someone can maybe give a suggestion or 2... Thanks in advance!

Also, sorry if pics not that good...

20170525_100951.jpg

20170525_100636.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Ostracods, perhaps?  

Maybe some "locals" can help. ;) 

@TqB  @Strepsodus 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'd go along with ostracods too, looks like Coal Measures marine band stuff I used to find in north England before all the mine tips were landscaped and tree covered. I've got a bit somewhere, will try to find it...

EDIT: probably not ostracods - see below...

@Archie might know more.

• I found this Informative 3

Tarquin

Hi.  I agree that they are ostracods.  They are very common in some layers but extremely rare in others.

Daniel

• I found this Informative 1

Hi.  Another possibility is plant spores, which are often found in coal rich shale.  I'll try to find a picture of one which I found.

Daniel

Hi.  Here is a picture of two plant spores which I found.  They are useful for finding fish fossils as most of the ones which I find come from thin layers of coal-like shale from within coal seams, so once I have found a coal seam I usually look in the shale above it which usually contains fish fossils.

Overall I think your fossils are most likely to be macrospores, though ostracods are a possibility.

Daniel

image.jpg.1d4aa2c4b7ad18a5c89b7ef18d20e4d2.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

OK, I agree they don't look like typical ostracods, I rushed into that...

These are though, from the Coal Measures. About 1mm long (small divisions are mm).

IMG_2464.thumb.jpg.6b23b7ddeb9d79880e3d2526a592541c.jpg

592708ca7283c_IMG_2464(1).thumb.jpg.88cf08e29309a296de4f9f5c61e24acf.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Tarquin

48 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Great pic,Tarq.

Namurian?

Thank you! Westphalian, almost certainly Harvey Marine Band which is on the A/B boundary. From a pit heap in Co. Durham.

Tarquin

again,from Hladil:

The association he documents is quite intriguing

g

oscorald2).jpg

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Fifer! :)

I agree with Daniel that these are Macrospores, when I first came across these in the Westphalian beds of Fife though I thought they were Ostracods because of how common they are in the Lower Carboniferous beds in my part of the county.

Regards,

Sam

• I found this Informative 2

4 minutes ago, Archie said:

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Fifer! :)

I agree with Daniel that these are Macrospores, when I first came across these in the Westphalian beds of Fife though I thought they were Ostracods because of how common they are in the Lower Carboniferous beds in my part of the county.

Regards,

Sam

Sorry I didn't tag you on this one, Sam. :blush:

Thanks for weighing in - I love when I learn something new! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

4 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Sorry I didn't tag you on this one, Sam. :blush:

Thanks for weighing in - I love when I learn something new! :) 

No worries Tim! Me too! I only learned these were Macrospores thanks to @Strepsodus/Daniel showing me some of his specimens, its amazing how large they are!

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for all the replies! Did look quite like an ostracod (especially maybe a Cypris sp.) But now that I look at macrospores I'm being swayed- easy for a complete amateur! Especially looking at the 1st photo, slightly left of centre where the possible macrospores has "creases" in it (if you know what I mean...

Anyway, thanks again.