Starfish / Oyster association

crabfossilsteve

Recently, I did some prep work on a couple of specimens that may turn out to be new crab species.  This prep work was done in exchange for some trade specimens that I didn't have in my collection.  As part of the trades, my new friend generous provided a starfish fossil.  This starfish specimen was loose and a small part of one arm was missing.  Since I prefer specimens in the matrix, decided to try to mount the specimen in some matrix.  However, since I didn't have matrix from the location, my friend later provided a slab with some oysters in it.  Apparently, starfish are often found  (when found) in association with oysters.  Both sets of specimens needed some preparation.  After prepping and reconstructing the missing part of the starfish and the oyster plate, I excavated and molded a spot for the starfish.  Wanted to be able to remove the starfish so you could look at the oral side.  This starfish shows its madreporite and the small spines on the oral side.  Very cool.   I recognize that this was a created association, however, it represents an association found in natural environment of the locale.   Hopefully, this plate falls within the preparation category.  Finished this work in May.  Wish I had taken pics of the befores and afters...Argg.

IMG_0045 (2).JPG

Nice looking piece, Steve. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very good work! It looks amazing!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

8 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Recently, I did some prep work on a couple of specimens that may turn out to be new crab species.  This prep work was done in exchange for some trade specimens that I didn't have in my collection.  As part of the trades, my new friend generous provided a starfish fossil.  This starfish specimen was loose and a small part of one arm was missing.  Since I prefer specimens in the matrix, decided to try to mount the specimen in some matrix.  However, since I didn't have matrix from the location, my friend later provided a slab with some oysters in it.  Apparently, starfish are often found  (when found) in association with oysters.  Both sets of specimens needed some preparation.  After prepping and reconstructing the missing part of the starfish and the oyster plate, I excavated and molded a spot for the starfish.  Wanted to be able to remove the starfish so you could look at the oral side.  This starfish shows its madreporite and the small spines on the oral side.  Very cool.   I recognize that this was a created association, however, it represents an association found in natural environment of the locale.   Hopefully, this plate falls within the preparation category.  Finished this work in May.  Wish I had taken pics of the befores and afters...Argg.

IMG_0045 (2).JPG

Holey Moley Steve that is cool!!

Cephalopods rule!!

Thanks Rick.  Hope you've been hitting the fossils this Spring.

I would say that you did one heck of a quality prep on that one steve!   Looks very natural.  Nice job.

RB

Steve,man ,give it up.That plate is so poor,it beggars belief.

Donate to an overseas(e.g.European) charity is what i say

The world should be rid of shoddy work like this,no craftsmanship whatsoever in evidence here.

I'd be VERY willing to sacrifice my retinas and have this monstrosity at home,in a prominent spot.

AS a reminder of what we humans are capable of

I have mixed feelings on this one.

First I want to say- it is an absolutely wonderful prep and insertion job!!:dinothumb:

The sea star is a fantastic piece (Can We see the underside?) and does look nice with the association.

But the "purist" in Me shoulders at the thought of the artificial nature of the piece. (At least it is better than the stuff from Morocco!)

Respectfully,

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

RJB, doushantuo and ynot.  Thanks alot for your kind comments on my prep work.  I was very happy with how this piece turned out.  It says alot to get hight praise from the great and wonderful RB...Thanks.  ynot, I do understand your purist outlook.  I knew going in on this one, I might receive the boooos from the purist....ha ha.  Not sure I care for the comparisons with the Moroccan stuff though.  Oh well, can't please everyone.  What I was after was a natural looking piece.  I like it........ha ha.

4 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

I might receive the boooos from the purist....ha ha.  Not sure I care for the comparisons with the Moroccan stuff though.

Only a small boo:D

Morocco was the only place that came to mind. (Be thankful it was not the China fakes that popped in there.):rofl:

Your piece is a very nice piece, and I intended no offence, just trying to be truthful.

4 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

What I was after was a natural looking piece.  I like it.

That is all that really maters!

Tony

PS would still like to see a picture of the underside of the seastar.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Hey ynot, No problem..Really.  I only took a very small offense...ha ha.  Since I think alot of fossil prep work involves some artistry, I appreciate the aesthetic of fossils and much prefer my fossils in matrix.  I was trying to be truthful by saying upfront that the piece was an amalgam. 

Goatinformationist, I think you captured the idea.  My background is in the biological sciences with emphasis on evolutionary biology and with a large element in art.  

I'll try to take some shots of the oral side of the starfish and put them up.

Enjoying the feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Fossil-Hound and dirtdauber

Thanks alot for your comments on the specimen.

Hey All.  In response to requests, here are some pics of the starfish's oral and aboral surfaces.  My phone camera couldn't get close enough to show the small spines on the oral groove, but does show some detail.  Also a pic of the molded pit for the star on the slab.  

IMG_0066.JPG

Couldn't get them all on one message

IMG_0070.JPG

ynot, here are the pics for your viewing pleasure

Great job, Steve. :) 

Came out wonderfullly!

Thanks for showing us how it was done.

Regard, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Archived