Possible dire wolf skull.

scarypickle

IMG_20170525_114737.thumb.jpg.6c5d2b33d6ee97b086f966fc5ce6391d.jpgI found this wolf skull near the milk river in North Eastern Montana, please help me identify it.

IMG_20170525_115535.jpg

IMG_20170525_115517.jpg

IMG_20170525_115435.jpg

IMG_20170525_121208.jpg

Very cool! Sorry I can't help with id. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Could you send some close up photos of the teeth and jaw region?

"I am going to dig up dinosaurs whether they are liquid or solid"

To me looks like a direwolf has the carnivore molars and the general skull shape of a dire wolf, the dire wolf skull is the right one in the photo.

IMG_0650.JPG

Just thinking out loud.  I accept that it is wolf.  Those are carnassials and it looks canid. How does you differentiate Dire Wolf from a large male modern wolf. We have to determine level of fossilization and skull measurements.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

6 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Just thinking out loud.  I accept that it is wolf.  Those are carnassials and it looks canid. How does you differentiate Dire Wolf from a large male modern wolf. We have to determine level of fossilization and skull measurements.

Hi, I'm afraid I don't know enough about these things to tell you the level of fossilization. The skull measures about 11 3/4 inches long, what other measurements should I get. Thanks for the info, I'm new to this forum do please tell me if I'm posting any of this the wrong way.

You are doing fine.. Welcome to the forum.

You get the questions out and wait for experts to respond. It takes about 10000 years for fossilization to occur. and your find is in a great state of preservation.

Here are some of dire wolf fossils I kept photos, 2nd picture from Harry Pristis,

DireWolf32mm.jpg

DireWolfRightMandible.jpg

IMG_0472.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

This is my Dire Wolf Skull for comparison.  It has been verified and even had a paper written on it because of provenance.    I am leaning more Canis Lupus based on what I can see from the tooth pics.  A few more pics of the teeth up close would help though.  

P1000067 copy.JPG

P1000079 copy.JPG

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

Without a comparison collection, the way to identify this wolf skull depends on measurements using a caliper.  You can start with this measure.

canislatransP4_canids_text.txt

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

1 hour ago, scarypickle said:

Here are more teeth pictures.

IMG_20170525_141505.jpg

IMG_20170525_141302.jpg

Looks very much like @sseth's direwolf skull, in my opinion looks like Direwolf to me. Hopefully you get a positive ID from others too, good luck!

6 hours ago, scarypickle said:

Hi, I'm afraid I don't know enough about these things to tell you the level of fossilization. The skull measures about 11 3/4 inches long, what other measurements should I get. Thanks for the info, I'm new to this forum do please tell me if I'm posting any of this the wrong way.

Scarypickle, I just want to be sure you understand. There is a difference between Dire Wolf teeth and modern male wolf teeth. Dire wolf teeth are larger.  The differences are small but consistent. You need to measure the lengths of the chewing surface for the teeth in your skull. Please follow HarryPristis advice.

The p4 on this wolf is 25.4 mm long, I believe Its probably from a modern wolf.

Archived