Cleaning tooth coating

Shellseeker

I found this pretty 2.5 Inch Kogiopsis tooth recently. The find basically looked like this in the sieve and when I took photos after arriving home.

KogiopsisH.thumb.jpg.c0e7b2e9515065f478f064fc448bbbf1.jpg

Already, I am thinking that this will display great next to other teeth of this type. When I went back to measure it, the tooth looked like this.

KogiopsisH2.thumb.jpg.e512abf69026d7ec8d27f8bd16405900.jpg

Hmmm. I liked the 1st version better. I know I can add baby oil and make it pretty again, but I am looking for knowledge on 1) what is the covering material? Comparing the bottom teeth in the photos means there is LOTS of detail under a very thin covering.  2) Has anyone successfully removed the covering ?  If so, what techniques did you use.

I am still deciding and looking for any experienced based knowledge. 

Thanks for all comments, assistance, knowledge provided. Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Jack,

Your coating looks to be the start of a concretion. It has a mudstone look to it. I have successfully scribed thin layers off fossils with my Aro in the past. If too thin to scribe off, I use abrasive.

I would consolidate exposed tooth with Vinac and then consolidate further as matrix is removed. With teeth, there's no such thing as over-consolidation. Once I'm done, I just give the whole thing a nice spray with abrasive to remove the surface Vinac if it is unsightly.

• I found this Informative 2

On 5/25/2017 at 4:46 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

Your coating looks to be the start of a concretion. It has a mudstone look to it. I have successfully scribed thin layers off fossils with my Aro in the past. If too thin to scribe off, I use abrasive.

Kris,

Thanks for this response.  The location is a new area for me and I have been finding different fossils,  some of which are outstanding like this one below.

However about a 3rd of what I find is covered (lightly) with this mudstone and Mako blades are hollow w/o roots. I looked up mudstone on the internet and know a lot more about it.

I have a number of "scrub" fossils with these layers of mudstone on them and will practice removing the mudstone before I try it on a piece I care about.

PufferMouthplate.thumb.jpg.f1975a2dad3c4adeac93ebe1a1749a47.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

3 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Kris,

Thanks for this response.  The location is a new area for me and I have been finding different fossils,  some of which are outstanding like this one below.

However about a 3rd of what I find is covered (lightly) with this mudstone and Mako blades are hollow w/o roots. I looked up mudstone on the internet and know a lot more about it.

I have a number of "scrub" fossils with these layers of mudstone on them and will practice removing the mudstone before I try it on a piece I care about.

PufferMouthplate.thumb.jpg.f1975a2dad3c4adeac93ebe1a1749a47.jpg

You can also try a hearty scrubbing with a stiff bristle brush after a long soak in soapy water. That will often remove the very thin stuff.

If you have stellar pieces that you want professionally prepped, drop me a PM.

Thanks for the guidance Kris.  I just took a look at some of the photos and prep results on your website NICE work!!!

I will think of you whenever I find a stellar piece that needs some preparation help.  Jack

49 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Thanks for the guidance Kris.  I just took a look at some of the photos and prep results on your website NICE work!!!

I will think of you whenever I find a stellar piece that needs some preparation help.  Jack

@Fossil-Hound is building a new web site for me and it will eventually have even more prep photos on it! Of course, that would require me getting off my duff and adding them. Should be pretty cool; way better than the one I have now.

@Ptychodus04 almost done. This Monday is going to be D-Day (Deploy Day). I'm going to sit down and get this thing done once and for all. The code is finished but for some reason the site is being stubborn and refusing to deploy.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

10 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@Ptychodus04 almost done. This Monday is going to be D-Day (Deploy Day). I'm going to sit down and get this thing done once and for all. The code is finished but for some reason the site is being stubborn and refusing to deploy.

Hopefully it cooperates for you. Maybe it's related to Marvin from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series...

Good luck. I'll be prepping trilobites for someone tomorrow. ;)

Hey Jack,

I have had good results cleaning oxidized mud (secretions) from rocks with a little toothpaste and a stiff brush, if the rock is not to fragle.

Iron out may work on the heavier secretions. (Check it on a lesser piece first.)

Nice tooth!

Good luck and please show the result when done.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 6/1/2017 at 0:07 AM, ynot said:

Hey Jack,

I have had good results cleaning oxidized mud (secretions) from rocks with a little toothpaste and a stiff brush, if the rock is not to fragle.

Iron out may work on the heavier secretions. (Check it on a lesser piece first.)

Nice tooth!

Good luck and please show the result when done.

Tony,

I took toothbrush and soapy water to the whale tooth and it WORKED.. Mud is slowly coming off.  which really pleases me because as I allow other finds from this location (like the mouthplate) dry, they also pick up some of this oxidized mud.. It will take some elbow greese but will be worthwhile before I consolidate.   Thanks Jack

35 minutes ago, ynot said:

Glad to hear it helped!

Where is the picture?

I am traveling in Connecticut. Away from my fossils .  I will ha  ve to get a photo after I return the middle of next week.  Jack