Recommendations for trip to Montgomery County Maryland (Potomac)

SteveRogers

Hello!

I'm heading out to spend a few days in the DC Area visiting with family, specifically around Potomac, MD. I have never been there, so I've been trying to collect info about the geology in the area, and fossil sites. I've found some Maryland sites on the forums (along the Potomac River, and the Calvert Cliffs). Most of the maps I can see locate spots farther south than Potomac, so I was wondering if it was worth looking along the river that far north? 

Thanks, any hints would be welcome!

Hey SteveRogers, and welcome to the FF.

In DC you are most likely to find the most animated fossils in Congress (it is down town).

Best to you and your fossil finding endeavors.

PS, if you want to find fossils in Georgia or Florida, I'm your guy.

Hey, welcome to the forum. I live in Maryland, about an hour from D.C., my father used to live in Potomac. Here's a geological map of Montgomery. I haven't done any collecting there, but up in Frederick county and near Gettysburg the new oxford has some fossils and the Potomac groups got dinosaurs.

http://www.mgs.md.gov/esic/geo/mon.html

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason