I looked into this one and thing I may have Identified it! Maybe. Is this a favocite coral? It is kind of crystallized.

1495752999018-1189123138.jpg

1495753028905-344280947.jpg

1495753067477224737940.jpg

Do you think you could give a location for the find?

"I am going to dig up dinosaurs whether they are liquid or solid"

5 minutes ago, NWGeoFan said:

Do you think you could give a location for the find?

Nevermind its in the tags

15 minutes ago, Spyburn said:

I looked into this one and thing I may have Identified it! Maybe. Is this a favocite coral? It is kind of crystallized.

1495752999018-1189123138.jpg

1495753028905-344280947.jpg

1495753067477224737940.jpg

Its definitely a Tabulate Coral, I cant give a confident guess upon which species it is without having it in hand. But Favosites is a very viable option, good luck hopefully you get a more precise ID!

10 minutes ago, Spyburn said:
1 hour ago, NWGeoFan said:

Its definitely a Tabulate Coral, I cant give a confident guess upon which species it is without having it in hand. But Favosites is a very viable option, good luck hopefully you get a more precise ID!

Just seen where you said it was in the tags lol. Sorry, kind of new to this board. 

Favosites, extinct genus of corals found as fossils in marine rocks from the Ordovician to the Permian periods (between 488 million and 251 million years old). Favosites is easily recognized by its distinctive form; the genus is colonial, and the individual structures that house each coral animal are closely packed together as long, narrow tubes. In cross section, the structure has a distinctive honeycomb appearance.

I doubt this reflects the growth pattern of a favositid. The 'tubes' in them tend to diverge closer to the angle seen in the specimen which appears to cross multiple would be tube walls.

I was just going by the look and structure. It is kind of a pinkish crystallized honeycomb looking thing. It's not a whole piece of it. I'm totally new to all this. Everyone I seen was a greyish color...

4 hours ago, Spyburn said:

I was just going by the look and structure. It is kind of a pinkish crystallized honeycomb looking thing. It's not a whole piece of it. I'm totally new to all this. Everyone I seen was a greyish color...

The look and color of most fossils varies to a considerable extent. One must learn to recognize them over and over. Even then there is often room for uncertainty.

5 hours ago, Rockwood said:

The look and color of most fossils varies to a considerable extent. One must learn to recognize them over and over. Even then there is often room for uncertainty.

Well thank you. I try an research before posting here, but sometimes I cant figure it out.

3 minutes ago, Spyburn said:

Well thank you. I try an research before posting here, but sometimes I cant figure it out.

That's ok - That's why we're here ;):) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

9 hours ago, Spyburn said:

15 hours ago, Rockwood said:

This is a primary reason that it is difficult to ID things from image searches.

As Kane points out that's why were here. That and it's just fun to do :)

Archived