Hello everyone,

Today I was going through all my older fossils, and I found this in my box of ammonites. Obviously this isn't one, and I must have put it in that box by mistake. It looks a lot like a coprolite to me, but I have no clue from what animal. Unfortunately I don't remember anymore where I found it. There are two possibilities: either from Lyme Regis (UK), or from one of the Cretaceous beaches on the Isle of Wight.

Any clue to what it could be, and maybe what location?

Best regards,

Max

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

22 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I smell a bryozoan.

I didn't know that you could find bryozoans at those locations... Thanks! Let's see if someone can confirm.

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Maybe pyrite/marcasite nodule?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

I didn't know that you could find bryozoans at those locations... Thanks! Let's see if someone can confirm.

Why not ?

3 hours ago, Carl said:

I'm not seeing a coprolite there. Sorry.

1 hour ago, GeschWhat said:

I'm not getting the coprolite vibe from this one either. :(

Seems like I was wrong with my coprolite guess! Thanks for the help. :)

5 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Maybe pyrite/marcasite nodule?

When I google "pyrite nodule", "marcasite nodule" or "pyrite marcasite nodule", all the results show a shiny round rock. Yet this thing here does not shine at all... Therefore I doubt it's that.

Max Derème

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Why not ?

I guess I just hadn't thought of that idea before.

Max Derème

56 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Calcareous algae might also be a thought.

That's true, thanks!

Max Derème

2 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Knowing the area well I think this is an ammonite that has been badly crushed and warped as they very often are in the 'shales with beef bed' 

That's possible too. Thanks for the help!

Max Derème

1 minute ago, JohnBrewer said:

Here's one in average condition from the beef bed. 

IMG_3965.PNG.2a70583aa1ff513dd383a92b931756e4.PNG

That's exactly how most of my ammonites from Lyme Regis look like. This "coprolite" doesn't really look a lot like that though; the most striking difference being the color.

Max Derème

Also I have several coprolites of marine reptiles from there and they are completely unlike your image. 

I have seen really warped ammos from that bed that do look similar to yours both in form and colour. 

The heritage centre at Charmouth will be will be able to tell you if it's anything. 

Maybe it's pyritized ammonite, an ammonite in pyrite nodule. If it's that, the pyrite wont let you 'prep' it out. The form may be good for an included ammonite as the pyrite tends to follow the ammonite 'ribs'.

Here are some examples from the British side: link

image.jpeg.5b1a85318b5767917f0a69fcce45afd9.thumb.jpg.5f57483d3d466bc8c5b5e7c83d68f11b.jpg59289a18229e3_Ch2.1.thumb.jpg.89f03ea77a666990c8e3ac9c6225fcf2.jpg59289b19b0701_Pyritisedammonites.thumb.JPG.15ca369c258e5595d7ff7e12b09a4028.JPG

I'm pretty sure you have an ammonite in pyrite.

P.S. : John gave me the ammonite idea, with his post. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

16 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Also I have several coprolites of marine reptiles from there and they are completely unlike your image. 

I have seen really warped ammos from that bed that do look similar to yours both in form and colour. 

The heritage centre at Charmouth will be will be able to tell you if it's anything. 

15 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Maybe it's pyritized ammonite, an ammonite in pyrite nodule. If it's that, the pyrite wont let you 'prep' it out. The form may be good for an included ammonite as the pyrite tends to follow the ammonite 'ribs'.

Here are some examples from the British side: link

image.jpeg.5b1a85318b5767917f0a69fcce45afd9.thumb.jpg.5f57483d3d466bc8c5b5e7c83d68f11b.jpg59289a18229e3_Ch2.1.thumb.jpg.89f03ea77a666990c8e3ac9c6225fcf2.jpg59289b19b0701_Pyritisedammonites.thumb.JPG.15ca369c258e5595d7ff7e12b09a4028.JPG

I'm pretty sure you have an ammonite in pyrite.

P.S. : John gave me the ammonite idea, with his post. :)

Alright, you've convinced me! Seems like it was in the right box after all :P

Thanks guys!

Max

Max Derème

Archived