Peace River Oddity

Shellseeker

I did not find too much yesterday but got a lot of exercise on a beautiful sunny day.  Also the Peace River was up 6-8 inches due to recent rains.

I have not seen anything like this.  Wondered if it was turtle or tilly bone.  Hope someone will recognize. 2.25x1.50 inches.  OddFossil2.thumb.jpg.7ad0ce98bb79741add88f660e144776e.jpgOddFossil.thumb.jpg.0915e5f2c47887b8ba34fd7cfba0b824.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I'm going with hyperostoic fish bone. The texture on the second photo reminds me a lot of fish.

• I found this Informative 1

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Weirdly eroded and smoothed petrified wood?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Jack, did the river clear up at all with that little flush? I'm going to go next week regardless, but would like the water to be a little less green, even if it's back up around 5 feet at zolfo after next week's rain.

WOW... I like all 3 responses, especially the one from Jess, but I think that is less likely than tilly or fossilized wood. I really am confused by this. 

Absolutely Sacha , The water in Wauchula was clear!!!! I could see objects on the river bed.  It really felt nice.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I don't have any exactly like that but from the variations on ones I do have I think it's a tilly bone too Jack:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Jess,

Great memory to pull the cool rhino upper "tusk" from one of the great ID challenges from @Harry Pristis I do see overall similarities to that odd shape in Harry's mystery item (which, to me, looks a bit like an oyster mushroom). I don't think I see the definite cap on the top of the tooth/tusk or the elongated shape so I think the resemblance is superficial. I think what is making @Cris lean toward hyperostotic bone (Tilly bone) in the second photo is likely those lines that divide the bulb into smaller sections. I've seen this pattern in several Tillies that I have (mostly in vertebral Tillies). Unless someone else with real knowledge comes along I think I'd be thinking something along the lines of Tilly.

I love finding odd things in the Peace River that I can't immediately identify--always a source of potential learning.

Hope you all get out in the Peace and pull some last minute treasures while the water level hovers at the brink of a run-up that will end the season. Glad that a little flush with some fresh water has cleared things up a bit--nice to hunt in a river that is not opaque. I'm headed out Tuesday for an extended vacation to Greece with Tammy and a close friend who has been there many times and will act as personal tour guide. Will be seeing lots of old things but they will just be antiquities and not quite fossils. :) Don't expect the Peace will still be in range when I return home but I enjoyed the couple of times I managed to get out this season (better than the two times last season provided). Now is the time to make hay while the sun shines so I expect you all to visit as often as you can till then end and post all sorts of photos to make me jealous.

Cheers.

-Ken

This does resemble fish bone.  I am reminded of a fish quadrate that has experienced some hyperostosis on the condyles.

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

3 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

This does resemble fish bone.  I am reminded of a fish quadrate that has experienced some hyperostosis on the condyles.

Wow Harry,  I used to think I had an extensive vocabulary.  Thanks for expanding my understanding and provide a "most likely" hypothesis.