Is there a way I can remove this algal growth?

JUAN EMMANUEL

When I found this fossil it has some green algal growth on it as I found it on the grass. The algae did not cover the entire fossil but is there some way I can remove the yellow coating of this fossil? I've been scrubbing it with a brush under running water for a while now and some of the dirt does come off.IMG_2796.thumb.JPG.6ed9ece0366b7fb372dc28b0441e1310.JPG

Maybe a light acid like vinegar, although I would be careful with it as it could damage the fossil. Scrubbing with an abrasive might also work. A scribe would work but would take a painstakingly long amount of time.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

22 minutes ago, Kane said:

Did you give the peroxide a try?

I already tried but peroxide only removed a little bit.

Maybe some gentle abrasion if you have the tools for it. Or, perhaps a much longer soak in the peroxide might remove more. If you can get your hands on a stronger peroxide, that may expedite the process - but since that is something I've never done, I'll defer to others who have gone that route.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

37 minutes ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Bleach will kill algae and should work.

+1. I've used bleach to kill algae on fossils. Mix 1 cup per gallon of water and let it soak overnight. Then rinse with clean water and scrub with a stiff bristle brush (grout brush works great if the specimen isn't fragile). I often use liquid dish soap with the scrub to help break stuff loose.

When done, rinse well and soak overnight again in fresh water to remove any lingering bleach odor.

This process can be repeated as often as needed until you're happy with the status of the prep.

If you're going to use a bleach, I recommend a 10% solution. Any stronger and you risk damaging your specimen. 

...I'm back.

12 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

If you're going to use a bleach, I recommend a 10% solution. Any stronger and you risk damaging your specimen. 

1 cup bleach mixed with a gallon of water yields a 6.25% solution. 

Archived