Dermal denticles from Steeplehouse quarry

DE&i

Name: Petrodus patelliformis  (dermal denticles)
Location: Steeplehouse quarry, Wirksworth, Derbyshire, United Kingdom

5929e4e91b2df_Petroduspatelliformisdermaldenticle1.jpg.5f79e5e2ceb68e203fcc9a02b4214e22.jpg5929e4ea678be_Petroduspatelliformisdermaldenticle2.jpg.34dbd30cfa328ecb2ada3ff73e987d3e.jpg5929e4eb8834c_Petroduspatelliformisdermaldenticle3.jpg.496d9683e873599641adb1192b2ea2da.jpg5929e4ec83e69_Petroduspatelliformisdermaldenticle4.jpg.896a93c609ae761e22d47cf46cfcce7b.jpg5929e4edd379e_Petroduspatelliformisdermaldenticleandassociatedcrinoids.jpg.b611a87e6d43b42fba30589e6d7a02d6.jpg

I haven’t got around to separating or giving it my best shot to an i.d. on the associated crinoids as yet, but I thought you would like to see my work in progress.

If you would like to view the PDF below it makes for a very interesting read.

Steeplehouse quarry

p.s. the scale bar is in mm

Edited by DE&i
Wrongly researched as Eocene when in fact Carboniferous

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Hi DE&i,

If these are from the same steeplehouse quarry in Derbyshire I know I believe the fossils are actually much older then Eocene in age and are in fact Carboniferous in age. I visited the site quite a bit while I was studying geology last year and the Material looks very similar

GK

Additional information quoted below from the ukfossils.co.uk website which I thought was very informative.

The shark remains are the most interesting aspect of this quarry. The bedding plains of the large slabs are full of dermal tubercles of the shark-like fish, Petrodus patelliformis. These are hard to see and most are worn, but they are 5 to 8mm in size and look a bit like squashed limpets. Tiny teeth from another shark, Anachronistes fordi, can also be found. Remains from both of these sharks are normally rare from the Carboniferous, but are quite common here, suggesting that a shoal of them suffered a mass mortality event. "

• I found this Informative 1

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers