Shark teeth

Harveyjt

I bought the big one at a car boot this morning and the small one off eBay, the small ones description on eBay said it was real but the fact it's only yellowish I just aren't sure now, and if you could tell me what shark you think these are from it would be great and a UK site where I could get genuine ones from

image.jpg

The larger one looks like otodus obligus, missing the side cusps. Looks like a tooth typical of Morocco.  The smaller tooth looks like a Mako, unsure of species or location. They look real to me.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I don't want to give wrong information but I believe Mako is the genus of shark while there are different species of makos. When I get a chance I will look this up to be sure.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Ok thank you you've been helpful, and are the side cusps the smaller teeth on the tooth on each side? Also is it possible that I got a genuine carchadontosaurus tooth (however you spell it) for £30 or is it fake? 

It would depend who you bought it from and what condition it is in. Price does not always reflect the product. I have bought a lot of bargains, but usually from people who don't know what they are selling or less than perfect examples from those who do know. The fact that you have a name makes me suspicious, but without seeing at least a picture it is difficult to judge. It is unlikely to be a complete fake, many teeth are misidentified by dealers because they think they will sell better. 

I am not currently able to get a picture of it but it's a brown colour, 40mm and in between thick and thin, it's got a slight curve to it as well going to the left suggesting it was a tooth on the right side of the jaw? Also still fairly sharp for the supposed age of it

Hi,

Using vernacular names can engender errors of understanding according to regions or other reason. With latin names, there isn't this problem, everybody knows (or can know) about what we speak... ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

This doesn't exactly help, did what I describe sound anything like a genuine carchadontosaurus tooth? It obviously looks aged as well 

8 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Here is information on Makos for you.  

Thank you 

We will most likely have to wait until you can provide a picture of the specimen. Visuals are far more effective for precise identification purposes than written descriptions, which tend - as per the nature of language - toward relative terms. ;)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The Mako appears to be an Carcharodon hastalis. Here's a similar specimen that is a fossil Great White:

Extinct Great Whites and Makos where one and the same.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

2 hours ago, Darktooth said:

I don't want to give wrong information but I believe Mako is the genus of shark while there are different species of makos. When I get a chance I will look this up to be sure.

Correct

11 minutes ago, Fossil-Hound said:

The Mako appears to be an Isurus hastalis. Here's a similar specimen that is a fossil Great White:

Hastalis has been move/reclassified and is not an Isurus anymore. -- It is Carcharodon hastalis.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Yes that's correct. Mako and Great White. One in the same once upon a time. Thanks for the clarification.

Recent mako jaw (Isurus oxyrinchus), I don't know if the name of recent Isurus oxyrinchus is changed...

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Requin_mako#/media/File:Isurus_oxyrinchus_Machoire.jpg

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

12 hours ago, Darktooth said:

The larger one looks like otodus obligus, missing the side cusps. Looks like a tooth typical of Morocco.  The smaller tooth looks like a Mako, unsure of species or location. They look real to me.

There's no such thing as an Otodus obligus. What you meant to say is: Otodus obliquus

• 2 weeks later...

This I bought for £30 and it said it was a genuine dinosaur tooth, can anybody confirm and possibly tell me what tooth it is? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Can you post a photo down on the broken part (root) and another looking at the thin edge inside the curvre?

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

The camera isn't the best but the edge bit is slightly jagged like mm apart from each other

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Had a tweek with your images on my phone. Are there serrations? Looks like there maybe. My guess is carcharodontosaurus but I'm regularly wrong. 

IMG_4647.JPG.802a1cd342a55e94df1d62a10445d746.JPGIMG_4648.JPG.13cb5f0f61d36b726c3a514a6ba6f18c.JPGIMG_4649.JPG.50e00276f70d46b08b49ffd5fa9b95eb.JPG

3 hours ago, Harveyjt said:

This I bought for £30 and it said it was a genuine dinosaur tooth, can anybody confirm and possibly tell me what tooth it is? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Definitely a real theropod tooth.   What locality is it from?

Archived