Is this some sort of bone?

Fossilian

You would have to post some other pictures of all the sides. It looks like a piece of iron to me, which can at times also by shiny. Turtle bones typically have many small holes and are light weight. Other bones can look like the thing you have though. Please post some more photos please.

: )

13 minutes ago, Trevor said:

You would have to post some other pictures of all the sides. It looks like a piece of iron to me, which can at times also by shiny. Turtle bones typically have many small holes and are light weight. Other bones can look like the thing you have though. Please post some more photos please.

image.jpg

13 minutes ago, Trevor said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Unfortunately I believe the first item is still simply iron concretion. I still am unsure for the second item, as I do not have a good working knowledge of corals from the streams. 

: )

Difficult to tell. I wouldn't rule out the small black fragment as being non-fossil as I've seen many a fossil in jet black but I would need to feel the composition to be certain. If it's a bone then you'll notice porosity (little pores) alongside the bone and I do not see this here. I wonder if this is either a piece of sting ray teeth plate (though I don't see the combs) or even a piece of a sting ray stinger (though I don't see any barb lines) so it's hard to tell. At this point you have an indeterminate entity.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

The second specimen looks like shark cartilage. The black one might be fish bone. They tend to be less porous.

I wouldn't rule out a piece from a larger tooth either.  

On the first one that is.

The small black piece is shiny on the sides, but on the top and bottom, it is porous. 

Archived