Tooth found in Maryland

heidinicole

Wondering if someone could tell me what kind of tooth this is. I found it walking along the water at Elm's Beach, Maryland. Would love to know what type of tooth it is! 

Screenshot_20170528-221022.png

Screenshot_20170528-221006.png

You sure that's a tooth? It looks like a polished shell to me, or maybe in inside of a spiral shell, like a conch.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I've been searching the shores of Maryland for years and have recovered hundreds of teeth. This is definitely not a shark tooth but rather a small segment of a broken scallop. Here's an example of a tooth I just found a few weeks ago:

Some beaches yield little to no shark teeth while others yield a lot and constantly yield more and I'll give you a hint as to how to find more teeth especially the large species such as C. megalodon: study the age of the cliff formations along the coastline particulary the western interior and then think about the relative existence of the large sharks such as Hemi's, C. chubutensis, and C. megalodon.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Archived