A trip to the school

JohnBrewer

A couple of months ago I was asked by Violet's teacher if I could do a presentation on fossils. In the uk a basic lesson on palaeontology is a part of the school curriculum.

I took a range of fossils, both in type and era. Of course anything dinosaur was the most popular, in particular teeth. The kids were really interested and when it came to question time everyone's hands were raised. I was really surprised how much knowledge these 7 and 8 year olds had. Sadly time ran out too soon but I've been asked to return later in the year. I'm REALLY looking forward to going back. 

A couple of days later I was asked by Mrs Hayes, the teacher, to pop in and see her for 5 minutes. All the kids were there and I was presented with a lovely card, a box of chocolates (most of which Violet ate when we got home!) and a superb fossil they had made me which now resides in my collection.

I wasn't allowed to take photographs of the day because of child protection but it was documented by a child with a digital camera. 

IMG_3974.thumb.JPG.14219c16769d29edab3efaaf3badfa61.JPG

IMG_3976.thumb.JPG.be1cba5caf0ee3d7be79d4d31983c033.JPG

Dear Violet's Dad was written by Violet!

IMG_3978.thumb.JPG.164f128582a11f6604d6745869c1152c.JPG

And here's the fossil they made for me by pressing a shell into some clay. I absolutely love this and is now a part of my collection.  I've added the obligatory scale so you can see the size :)

IMG_3980.thumb.JPG.6cfafdb98c7f73167b2a147fa7be111d.JPG

i dont have a photo photo of the box of chocolates, they've all been eaten!

Pretty awesome, John! :fistbump:

You're inspiring the fossil-collectors of tomorrow. But, beware, as they are faster than you and may find all the good stuff before you do! :D

Fab report!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks for sharing John!

Looks like a great day and I am sure the kids had a blast!

32 minutes ago, Kane said:

Pretty awesome, John! :fistbump:

You're inspiring the fossil-collectors of tomorrow. But, beware, as they are faster than you and may find all the good stuff before you do! :D

Fab report!

Nah, didn't tell them of any of my sites, only the rare Canadian trilos sites ;)

Good to see you sharing the passion with the next generation.

Remember their eyes are closer to the ground than ours so one they know what to look for, you will be beaten every time.

Mike D'Arcy

Well done, John! Be careful though, school visits are not only rewarding, but addicting too.

Thanks for sharing Violet's letter. It made me smile.

Mike

bee.jpg.e8d4db37eb1c28661629c741492dc048.jpg

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

The fossil that made for you is so sweet! What a great way to get kids excited about history and geology. 

What a guy!   Good for you, and the kids too.   I know exactly how you feel John.  I use to do quite a few presentations back when i was younger. 

RB

Way to go! and its very satisfying for everyone and a great opportunity for the kids to see fossils first hand.  

Archived