Fossil-Hound

Texas Fossils

Fossil-Hound

Some time last year I proposed a new website to Kris @Ptychodus04 in exchange for some ammonites which later evolved (no pun) into him doing some additional preparation work as well. My profession is a software engineer (programmer) and I specialize in web development. Here's the new site running from my Linux CentOS server that I built a few years ago:

Texas Fossils

His old site was overdue for an upgrade. I'm adding a gallery to this website tomorrow so he will be able to upload new pictures and I'll be making additional updates throughout the week based off of his feedback. Hopefully I'll get to make @RJB a website to showcase all of his crabs as those are certainly worth showing off.

Fossildude19

Looks good, although the pictures take a bit to load. 

Well done. :) 

Regards,

Fossil-Hound

@Fossildude19 looks like I'm using high quality JPG's and these are usually around 1-2 Mb each. That's what is slowing down the load speed. What I'll do either tonight or tomorrow is convert these to PNG's or slim the JPG's down in size so that I can display a smaller photo around 0.25-0.35 Mb each. The Rates & Services page takes a horrendous 40 seconds to load because of the high quality before and after preparation pictures.

Ptychodus04
8 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Some time last year I proposed a new website to Kris @Ptychodus04 in exchange for some ammonites which later evolved (no pun) into him doing some additional preparation work as well. My profession is a software engineer (programmer) and I specialize in web development. Here's the new site running from my Linux CentOS server that I built a few years ago:

Texas Fossils

His old site was overdue for an upgrade. I'm adding a gallery to this website tomorrow so he will be able to upload new pictures and I'll be making additional updates throughout the week based off of his feedback. Hopefully I'll get to make @RJB a website to showcase all of his crabs as those are certainly worth showing off.

Jason is doing a great job on my web site. He has dedicated a ton of time to it while in the process of finishing his master's degree and having a new baby!! He has been VERY easy to work with and very patient with me throughout the process. If you need a web site or think you might need one, talk to Jason. You won't regret it.

Fossil-Hound

Thanks!:)

Fossil-Hound

@Fossildude19 try clearing your cache (ctrl+shift+del) then revisit:

http://www.texasfossils.from-tx.com/#/

I optimized a bunch of images and files so that everything should load 2x faster. I clocked it at 16.5 seconds. IMHO anything over 10 seconds is too slow and I'll do some more research this weekend on how to further optimize. I degraded the images without compromising them per their size on the screen, so unless you're viewing with an ultra large screen you shouldn't notice any degradation.

@Ptychodus04 I'll add another entry to Discoveries on your fish from the creek soon. That is too cool to be left out.

Ptychodus04
1 hour ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@Fossildude19 try clearing your cache (ctrl+shift+del) then revisit:

http://www.texasfossils.from-tx.com/#/

I optimized a bunch of images and files so that everything should load 2x faster. I clocked it at 16.5 seconds. IMHO anything over 10 seconds is too slow and I'll do some more research this weekend on how to further optimize. I degraded the images without compromising them per their size on the screen, so unless you're viewing with an ultra large screen you shouldn't notice any degradation.

@Ptychodus04 I'll add another entry to Discoveries on your fish from the creek soon. That is too cool to be left out.

Can't wait to see it in its full glory!