Carl

Hit Ramanessin Brook on Sunday (Late Cretaceous, marine, New Jersey) and saw a nice hunk of matrix with mollusk impressions sticking out of a gravel bar. Rinsing it revealed a gorgeous Enchodus palatine! I've never seen vertebrate remains in the NJ brooks in hard, fine matrix like this. And the chunk is riddled with gastropod and bivalve impressions and an impression of the worm tube Hamulus - my first. Score of the day!

SMALL.jpg

15 minutes ago, Carl said:

Hit Ramanessin Brook on Sunday (Late Cretaceous, marine, New Jersey) and saw a nice hunk of matrix with mollusk impressions sticking out of a gravel bar. Rinsing it revealed a gorgeous Enchodus palatine! I've never seen vertebrate remains in the NJ brooks in hard, fine matrix like this. And the chunk is riddled with gastropod and bivalve impressions and an impression of the worm tube Hamulus - my first. Score of the day!

SMALL.jpg

I was there on Saturday and Monday! Where did you find that?

Nice find!

That's a beautiful piece Carl....And yes You rarely see something like this out of the brooks......:dinothumb:

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Wonderful!! :wub:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Awesome find Carl! I almost went on Sunday, possibly could have seen you there. Too bad it was missing the full tooth, but that may be expected if it was found in matrix that solid.

: )

2 hours ago, Fossilian said:

I was there on Saturday and Monday! Where did you find that?

Nice find!

I can not say...

6 hours ago, Carl said:

I can not say...

Keep cool boy… 

Good for you Carl.  Nice find.  I remember seeing some amazing "matrix" pieces in the MAPS collection. Not common for sure.

There was even a string of crinoid columnals!  Yes, that's right folks there are CRINOIDS (or at least bits of crinoids) to be collected from those Jersey brooks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Carl, I like looking at hash pieces like that too no matter what age and to find some unusual specimens in them as well makes it even more cool. Congrats! Regards, Chris 

Archived