Coming Soon to a Prep Lab Near Me

Ptychodus04

Anecdotally, Einstein is credited with the following layman's explanation of Relativity: “When you sit with a nice girl for two hours you think it’s only a minute, but when you sit on a hot stove for a minute you think it’s two hours."

The same applies to the purchase of a new scribe from Paleo Tools! I just ordered a new Micro Jack #4 and time instantly slowed down. :blink: I have needed a scribe for microscopic detail work for a while and finally got the CFO to approve the purchase. I'm sure it had a lot to do with me regularly complaining about how using an Aro under the scope is analogous to removing bathroom grout with a jackhammer!

• I found this Informative 2

36 minutes ago, RJB said:

Always nice to get new and different prep tools Kris. 

RB

This is a reall blessing for stepping up my detail work. I foresee it spending some time on your fish.

1 hour ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@Ptychodus04 and on trilobites! :wub: :trilo:

What trilobites? I don't have any trilobites...;)

JK, yes it will help me get into the little nooks and crannies of those little Paleozoic terrors.

@Ptychodus04 LOL terrors?! I've heard rumors about carnivorous trilobites that ate other trilobites but I was under the impression these little buggers (no pun intended) where very peaceful and ate vegetation and leftovers on the sea floor. I hope you're going to post some more rana pics for me to drool over. :drool: :popcorn: :wub:

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

24 minutes ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@Ptychodus04 LOL terrors?! I've heard rumors about carnivorous trilobites that ate other trilobites but I was under the impression these little buggers (no pun intended) where very peaceful and ate vegetation and leftovers on the sea floor. I hope you're going to post some more rana pics for me to drool over. :drool: :popcorn: :wub:

They're terrors for the fossil preparator! They are a known cause of carpal tunnel syndrome and permanently crossed eyes! I just realized that I neglected to shoot a pic of the partially prepped ranas on my bench... Oops. :blink: Will try to do that tonight.

Oh @Ptychodus04 You are too funny... Carpal tunnel and crossed eyes... :rofl: Looking forward to seeing those beauties, er I mean little terrors... :wub:

I gave @Fossil-Hound's "completed" rana some attention with the new Micro Jack. Wow! What a difference it makes. I was able to get the shake out of the little crevasses. The pic doesn't do the little critter justice.IMG_4439.thumb.JPG.a9ef31bd1a5b18f7622b8b12a7dc79cf.JPG

5 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

With UPS Ground shipping it was $479.00

Well worth the cost.

Wow that's a good chunk of change! Cost a little more than my nearly new iPhone 6s plus from Craigslist. :D It does look like it made a huge difference though. Keep it up!

Bill doesn't give them away for sure but it is a quality piece of equipment. The most important part for me is the absence of lateral movement of the scribe. 

While it doesn't move much, the Aro doesn't allow for anything close to detail work on fine specimens under the microscope. The thin stylist and zero lateral movement of the Micro Jack makes this all possible. The weak link is now the steadiness of my hand. I can work with that!

Purchasing one of those a couple of years back was a good move for me as it works well on the finer parts.

agreed not cheep but you get what you pay for.

Remember you can tell the age of the boy by the price of the toy.

Mike D'Arcy

Nice toy....... wish it was in my prep area....... can we get a nice pick of the needle of the stylus in association with an E. rana for scale

1 hour ago, Malcolmt said:

Nice toy....... wish it was in my prep area....... can we get a nice pick of the needle of the stylus in association with an E. rana for scale

Yes sir. I'll try to get that this evening.

Definitely wish I had one. Be interesting to get your feedback on how the stylus lasts. I have a super fine one from Germany and the stylus generally lasts less than 100 hours, sometimes much less as it is very brittle 

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

Definitely wish I had one. Be interesting to get your feedback on how the stylus lasts. I have a super fine one from Germany and the stylus generally lasts less than 100 hours, sometimes much less as it is very brittle 

I'll let you know how it goes. I have a Paleo Tools stylus for my Aro and I have around 500 hours on it without any issues (granted the Micro Jack stylus is thinner). 

It is a bit dull but I actually prefer my styli a little on the dull side. When they are needle sharp, they tend to gouge a bit deeper into the matrix before blowing the chip off. You're more likely to bump the specimen this way during close work.