My Current Aturia Angustata Project Pics

micropterus101

I have been pretty lucky lately and havent destroyed too many Aturia with the sledge hammer trying to get workable peices.

My new project I am really excited about! I have other multiple specimen pieces but with smaller Aturia. These three are 1 7/8" 2 1/8", 2 1/8" There orienatation is almost ideal.

This picture shows them as I busted them out of the concretion. I have to extract the top one and place it back above the bottom two.

project.jpg

In this picture I have extracted and replaced the top Aturia. Now comes the tuff part of using my scribe to fully expose them .

project2.jpg

That looks pretty daunting!

Fortunately, you know what you're doing, and I'm sure the results will be worth the effort :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow, that's an incredible matrix piece. I've seen some out of Oregon that feature differing degrees of translucence and was present when a friend popped a concretion and found one.

micropterus101..... Those look tough concretions...and like you say very good natural orientation as well..... Cant wait to see it finished.... Well done ......

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

All very attractive,show the your pic's after the your final prep!Thanks for showing,alls amazing!!!!! :)

Cheers,

Red

->>>>> :)<

I have been pretty lucky lately and havent destroyed too many Aturia with the sledge hammer trying to get workable peices.

My new project I am really excited about! I have other multiple specimen pieces but with smaller Aturia. These three are 1 7/8" 2 1/8", 2 1/8" There orienatation is almost ideal.

Now comes the tuff part of using my scribe to fully expose them .

Nice cephalopods.

What is the geology? Age formation?

I have an interest. Here in the south there is Aturia alabamaensis which is found in the AL and FL Eocene. I have also found several different species of Paleocene and Eocene non-Aturia cephs from AL and NC.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain