drobare

Hi. I keep learning new things all of the time. One of the things I learned last year is that crocodile teeth are hollow inside.

I have a few from over the years so I checked them out. Yep, they were all hollow.. except for one.

So I am guessing this isn't really a crocodile tooth.

I will post it for the experts to comment on. It is about the size of a 50 cent piece for reference.

IMG_20170530_071128.jpg

IMG_20170530_071106.jpg

Also, I can't remember exactly where I found this one. It was either a day when I was allowed into Scientist Cliffs, or it might have been a trip I paid for to Stratford Hall. 

I believe it was Scientist Cliffs.

Croc teeth are hollow inside to a point where they are solid. They are like an ice cream cone that has the bottom filled in. This could still be a croc tooth that has the hollow part broken off.

Thanks @Ptychodus04!

I was digging through my massive collection of 2 croc teeth staring at a hollow ring with a solid center and becoming quite puzzled!

Thanks! I didn't realize crocodile teeth were constructed that way. That is good to know!

40 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Thanks @Ptychodus04!

I was digging through my massive collection of 2 croc teeth staring at a hollow ring with a solid center and becoming quite puzzled!

The part that was the pulp area is hollow and the dentin and enamel are solid.The very tippy tip (to steal a term from @RJB) is completely solid since it is comprised wholly of dentin and enamel. So, if your tooth is the broken end of a largeish tooth, it will be solid like the pic above.

Therapod teeth are similar to this as well, only partially hollow.

This is a crocodile tooth. Not to be confused with crab claw tips from the same location as those are much thinner and not as hard or dense. @drobare do you want to hit up the cliffs or Mataoke this weekend or next?

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Maybe... I am having 4 cubic yards of mulch delivered Friday night.. so I think I'm going to be busy Saturday spreading some mulch..

Possibly  Sunday could work....   I'll send you a message. :-) :-)

Archived