Dino foot prints in MD

Fossil Claw

Does anyone know where I might be a blessing to legally be hunt for dino footprints in frederick county MD?

I will be passing through on a trip next week and would like to do some hunting.

If you know a location and I want to go on a hunt Tuesday or Thursday PM me.

Thank you.

I'm from Maryland and the only location I know of where you might find some of those is Dinosaur Park in Laurel, MD but you can't keep anything you find there. Still it's a very neat location with some potentially great stuff including dinosaur teeth. The site curator told me that I could keep any petrified pine cones dating back to the Triassic and I met a guy who found three in four hours. That was neat.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

45 minutes ago, Fossil Claw said:

Does anyone know where I might be a blessing to legally be hunt for dino footprints in frederick county MD?

I will be passing through on a trip next week and would like to do some hunting.

If you know a location and I want to go on a hunt Tuesday or Thursday PM me.

Thank you.

The deposits of the Newark Group aren't well exposed anymore, and the only places in Maryland where dinosaur footprints came from them are now destroyed (one by Mt. St. mary's College and the other at the "Fulton Site"). 

There have been dinosaur footprints found in the Patuxent Formation of Maryland around the area of College Park, however that area is pretty busy on weekdays and parking would be an issue (that, and the fact it would be creek collecting). Dinosaur Park in Laurel hasn't produced footprints from what I know of, and the park doesn't allow you to collect anything other then two pieces of lignite. Plus, it's not open Tuesday or Thursday. 

Aside from that, I've found quite a few tetrapod footprints from western Maryland in the Pocono Group, but that area is a long drive from Frederick. 

• I found this Informative 3

Well I did some searching and I found a place, but I'm waiting for land owner permission before releasing its location to much. Aside from there, just look about in some rivers in the formation. The fossiliferous ones tend to be glossy and may have other trace fossils or marks, especially raindrops and ripples.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason