Caloosahatchee River, Ft Myers, FL

dalmayshun

In late March a friend and I took our kayaks to our favorite Calooosahatchee River location. We spend an afternoon looking around, and trying to protect ourselves and our kayaks from the drafts of the huge yachts that were crossing from one coast to the other, through the connecting waterways. After one huge yacht ( which didn't slow down at all), the waves knocked me and the kayak into the bank, and out dropped a lionspaw...pristine. Needless to say, though i was banged up, I started digging around a bit at the edge....out popped several more lions paws, and this beautiful problematica cowrie...still with color and sheen...I couldn't believe my eyes...it looked like I had just picked it up off the bottom of the ocean someplace. At any rate, I finally have gotten around to cleaning them all and thought I'd post them. Enjoy. 

20170531_104108-picsay.jpg

20170531_104926-picsay.jpg

20170531_104937-picsay.jpg

20170531_105007-picsay.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Those Lion paws looks really good. Similar in structure to the Chesapectens of MD/VA. Gorgeous finds.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

You got some neat scallop shells there. 

Absolutely lovely finds!! Glad you were rewarded after being knocked about in your kayak. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rod, those are sweet Pectinid finds. Ive not seen that form up this way. Curious as to whether there are any of the other types there too in addition to the Carolinapecten eboreus that you and Mike were discussing in an earlier thread from this year? 

Regards, Chris 

Very interesting pectinids! Never see them before. Are those Nodipecten nodosus ?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 3 weeks later...

yes, they are nodosus  and a couple of them look like they were just picked up off the ocean floor, though they are at least 40 miles from the ocean where it lies today, and under about 18 or so feet of river bank. I am including some more, this time nodipectin colleriensis, a ancestor of the the nodosus that I recently picked up at a local construction site...late miocene or early Pliocene. A friend and I picked up about 130 specimens of various sizes of the collierensis over a couple of trips. The entire area will soon be covered over with an apartment complex.  the top rows are collierensis, include a couple of complete bivales, though most are only right or left....the bottom row is the scallop Euvola hemicyclica...and are absolutely gorgeous, about 1 - 1/12 inches thick, really lovely elegant shells. 

20170618_155654-picsay.jpg

Chris, the other bivalves my friend and I have found there are amusiums, generally had to find complete since they are so thin. My friend did find a complete double valve in the bank, so having both sides kept it pretty nice, except for few chips along the edge. The other bi-valve I have collected in the general area, of the river, (about 2 miles away) are cardium dalli...that is a acrosterigma I am told. At any rate, they are a hard thick shell and so complete specimins are fairly easy to find.  We also find gastropods...this is one of my favorites....

20170115_235500-picsay.jpg

D,I love the way you have those pectinids aligned/arrayed/ordered/whatever.

That's a GREAT pic.

Hey Rod, thanks for the additional info. Yes the Cardiums do to tend to hold up especially well. I've not run into that gastropod in my travels much--I think I have some small ones and only one thats more than 2 inches long. thats a beauty! I dont remember which Hexaplex it was and yours is different if thats the right genus. Congrats! 

Regards, Chris