Fossil Hunt South Dakota 2017

RJB

Ok, ive started on one of the White River tortoises.  Sad to say, I hope I never get one like this again.   Just the nastiest rock ive run into in a very long time.  Its like the whole thing is wrapped up in a thin coating of very hard iron!!!  Impossible to not beat it up!!! Not happy at all with the way this is turning out!  I mean, its still purty dang cool, but trying to get the iron stuff off is an absolute pain in the you know what!!!  To say the least.  Anyways, ive got a bit over 15 hours in this so far with at least 20 more hours to go. 

RB

DSCN1097.JPG

DSCN1098.JPG

DSCN1100.JPG

Just shaking my head in awe! Beautiful material and unbelievable skill. ...You are making me want to go into the garage again this weekend and start learning how to do this prepping stuff and torture some echinoids and gastropods I have....lol....

Keep after em. Enjoy this post immensely!

Regards, Chris 

21 hours ago, RJB said:

Ok, ive started on one of the White River tortoises.  Sad to say, I hope I never get one like this again.   Just the nastiest rock ive run into in a very long time.  Its like the whole thing is wrapped up in a thin coating of very hard iron!!!  Impossible to not beat it up!!! Not happy at all with the way this is turning out!  I mean, its still purty dang cool, but trying to get the iron stuff off is an absolute pain in the you know what!!!  To say the least.  Anyways, ive got a bit over 15 hours in this so far with at least 20 more hours to go. 

RB

DSCN1097.JPG

DSCN1098.JPG

DSCN1100.JPG

That is awesome Ron

Cephalopods rule!!

Holy Cow Ron.  That SD trip was some kind of fantastically productive excursion.  Two rare crabbies and wonderfully beautiful ammonites.  As you know, I'm addicted to crabs, but do love ammonites too.  I "hate" you with green envy.  Wow o wow man.  That Homolid is driving me mad with its completeness and with those long thin legs.  I certainly look forward to seeing it finished.

On 17/06/2017 at 0:12 AM, RJB said:

RB

DSCN1097.JPG

DSCN1098.JPG

DSCN1100.JPG

Ron, you're an artist! Fantastic result!

Thank you guys, @crabfossilsteve and @JohnBrewer.   Here is an update on this tortoise.  Another 5 and 1/2 hours.   Its missing some stuff, but all in all, perty dang nice!  Still has a bit more work to do on it though.

RB

DSCN1106.JPG

DSCN1107.JPG

Beautiful! That ironstone can be a real pain for sure! 

I once prepped a fish fish that had it all over it. Royal pain in the posterior! Some spots had so much Iron that my carbide stylus just polished it!!!

My wife does not believe in Murphy.  Ha!!  Boy is she wrong!   I got the first tortoise about as far as i could go and figured that I would prep out the 2nd one so I can use that one for an example to rebuild the missing part of the 1st one.  Ha!!!  After about 5 hours of taking off a ton of rock I realized that the same part is missing!!!   What the FFFFFFF!!!!   I absolutely 100% percently tell you that Murphy is way up in the sky with both of those special fingers pointing in my direction!!!    Anyways, here is the 2nd tortoise.  Very disapointed in this one.   Seems like mother nature in the fossil world is always throwing a curve ball.  Now I have to try and get a 3rd one?  The 5 gallon bucket was empty right before I started the first tortoise.  Ive never filled a bucket so fast!  All chips from these tortoises.  Belive you me, lots of rock removal for these. 

DSCN1108.JPG

DSCN1109.JPG

DSCN1110.JPG

That is quite a pile of rock chips! Are you using a ME9100/CP9361 sized scribe or something bigger for your bulk matrix removal?

Of all the snarge luck! Two missing the same pieces... That is frustrating for sure. I wonder if that's due to a particular predation style or you just have the worst luck?

Hey @Ptychodus04, I have one of those Juniour jacks.  Takes off 10 times more material than the ME9100.   The only problem with one of those jacks is,,, if you do make a mistake, it can be a Dooooozy!!!     Im going to put these aside for awhile and get back to the ammos.

RB

• I found this Informative 1

42 minutes ago, RJB said:

Hey @Ptychodus04, I have one of those Juniour jacks.  Takes off 10 times more material than the ME9100.   The only problem with one of those jacks is,,, if you do make a mistake, it can be a Dooooozy!!!     Im going to put these aside for awhile and get back to the ammos.

RB

Yes sir, those things will tear up rock and specimen without discrimination! My next scribe purchase is going to be one.

Can't wait to see more ammonite pics.

Ok @Ptychodus04, i worked up a storm today on some more ammos.  None of them are done, but just getting some of my 'lessor' ammos ready for sale.  I might keep one or two?  Depends on how they prep out of course.   Easy to see why folks like the Fox Hills ammo's so much.  Even the so-so ones are full of color!!!  Still lots more sittin on two tables and more on the floor.

RB

DSCN1111.JPG

Sweet!!! I was focused on the floor and almost missed all the goodies up on the shelf! I love the colors

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Such great finds. I was out there last week looking for ammos, but pretty not the luck you had. Most that we found were an inch or smaller. Plus there's about 1000 pelycopods to every ammo.

Thanks guys.    Been busy prepping ammo's again.  Got lots more to do on some, but its getting done?   here are two little beauties ive finished up today.  One is a really nice and very pretty and very colorful Sphenodiscus and the other is a complete but small Discoscaphities gulosum?  Just nice stuff!  Both headed for the display case.

Oh, the little Spheno has some wonderful purples on it!!!

RB

DSCN1113.JPG

DSCN1114.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Just gorgeous, Ron ..GORGEOUS!!!! You will have to give us a video tour of that "display case" at some point. Nice prep

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Looks like You did very good on Your trip!

You just keep posting so many great pieces it boggles My mind.

Have You chosen one for the IPFOTM contest? (Looks like You may have a hard time picking one from all the great pieces You have already posted.)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks again everybody. 

@ynot, I was going to post a rare crab on FOTM, but it turns out that there are 3 claws on the right hand side of the crab and not sure whats going on with the dang thing.  I never thought about posting an ammonite? 

RB

You can send any of those beautiful ammonites on to me, but I for one would really like to see that freakie 3 clawed crabbie.

22 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Just gorgeous, Ron ..GORGEOUS!!!! You will have to give us a video tour of that "display case" at some point. Nice prep

I second this idea!  :popcorn: